The Board exists to advise the Department on the following areas of its work:
- The Department’s long term strategy and implementation of its strategy
- Trends and developments in industry and university research and suggesting departmental responses.
- Research strategy taking into account trends, developments, government and funding policy, and industry needs.
- Research collaborations (industry, international, clinical)
Teaching and Curricula
- Alignment of the curricula of its taught courses with the needs of society and to identify new trends and innovations which should be reflected in the curricula.
- Industry involvement in teaching and learning, including career and internship opportunities for students and graduates.
Communications and Stakeholder Engagement
- The Department’s profile nationally and internationally with its key stakeholders (funders, government, employers, alumni etc.)
- Effectiveness of current engagement with business and industry.
The Department of Bioengineering is fortunate to have the following Advisory Board members:
Advisory Board Members
Prof C. Ross Ethier
Wallace H Coulter Dept. of Bioengineering, Georgia Insitute of Technology. Professor Ethier holds the Lawrence L. Gellerstedt, Jr. Chair in Bioengineering and is a Georgia Research Alliance Eminent Scholar. A former Head of the Department of Bioengineering at Imperial College Professor Ethier is currently the Chair of our Advisory Board.
Professor Doug Lauffenburger
Head, Department of Biological Engineering, Massachusetts Institute of Technology. Professor Lauffenburgeris a member of the Biotechnology Process Engineering Center, Center for Cancer Research, and the Center for Environmental Health Sciences. A former President of the Biomedical Engineering Society, he is currently Director of the Computational & Systems Biology Initiative.
Prof Ian Hunter
Hatsopoulos Professor of Mechanical Engineering, Massachusetts Institute of Technology. Professor Hunter is head of the BioInstrumentation Laboratory.
Prof Frank Baaijens
Biomedical Engineering, Eindhoven University of Technology. Professor Baaijens is Scientific Director of the national research programme on BioMedical Materials (BMM).
Dr Peter Fielding
Wellspan Surgical Associates. Dr Fielding is a practising physician who has held senior academic appointments as a Clinical Professor of Surgery at Yale University, Rochester University, University of Pennsylvania and Pennsylvania State University. He is a fellow of the American College of Surgeons.
Professor Nancy Allbritton
Kenan Distinguished Professor, Chair of UNC/NC State Joint Department of Biomedical Engineering, Jointly Appointed with School of Medicine & School of Pharmacy
Professor Ralph Müller
PROFESSOR RALPH MULLER
Professor of Biomechanics, Department of Health Sciences and Technology, ETH Zurich
Professor Gisou van der Goot
PROFESSOR GISOU VAN DER GOOT
Laboratory of Cell and Membrane Biology, Global Health Institute of EPFL
Professor Liz Tanner
PROFESSOR LIZ TANNER OBE FREng FRSE
Professor of Biomedical Materials at the University of Glasgow
Professor John A. White
PROFESSOR JOHN A. WHITE
Professor and Chair, Biomedical Engineering, Boston University