Sensing and the Internet of Things
Dr Hamed Haddadi
- Use basic mobile sensing techniques from Android or iOS simulators to collect mobile data
- Use basic API functionality to get data from external data sources such as sensors (public data or physical sensors)
- Understand basic of distributions, graph theory and supervised/unsupervised data analysis methods
- Use basic visualisation techniques, statistical analysis methods and techniques, and to evaluate in which situations and conditions these are best applied
- Interpret the results of such analysis, methods and techniques, to report them appropriately and to discuss the findings
Implement such methods using Python and Matlab, apply them to appropriate case studies and adequately present the results
Description of Content
The module aims to provide students with sufficient tools and techniques to develop software and hardware platforms for the Internet of Things, to obtain data from mobile and social sensors, perform data analysis, perform actuations, and to use key insights from data mining.
- Basic of mobile sensing, using Android or iOS application development toolkits and libraries;
- Basics of data acquisition from external sensors using API programming
- Applying basic data analysis techniques to perform actions (actuations, user feedback, etc.) based on the data.
During the module, tutorials will be structured around app development and data collection and analysis cases that are appropriate for Design Engineering students, such as IoT device programming and social media activity analysis.