Research Assistant/Associate using Social Robotics to Support Health and Wellbeing of Dementia Patients
The Biomechatronics Laboratory at Imperial College London is recruiting candidates for a research post in social robotics, artificial intelligence, and machine learning. This project, Psychosocial Robotic Engagement for Dementia Patients in Smart Environs, is an exciting opportunity for a researcher interested in exploratory research in robotic support of the elderly, in particular to address isolation and health monitoring challenges faced...
Job listing information
- Reference ENG01385
- Date posted 9 September 2020
- Closing date 1 November 2020
The Biomechatronics Laboratory at Imperial College London is recruiting candidates for a research post in social robotics, artificial intelligence, and machine learning. This project, Psychosocial Robotic Engagement for Dementia Patients in Smart Environs, is an exciting opportunity for a researcher interested in exploratory research in robotic support of the elderly, in particular to address isolation and health monitoring challenges faced by dementia patients and their care givers today.
The project seeks to extend academic and commercial research by our team to clinically translate robotic cognitive engagement tools for patients with dementia. The focus of the study is to introduce and validate the efficacy of voice agents and interactive social robots to support health monitoring of dementia patients in smart environments. It will be conducted thorough the Dementia Research Institute Care Research and Technology Centre in close collaboration with engineers, computer scientists, and clinical neurologists.
Duties and responsibilities
- Develop robotic and artificial intelligence systems to interact with dementia patients
- Deploy social robotic systems in smart homes to engage, monitor, and clinically support the dementia patients and their care givers
- Conduct experiments which encourage psychosocial robotic interactions with the elderly
- Work closely with clinical neurologists and behavioural therapists to extract key features from data gathered in relation to human-robot cognitive engagement
- Organize patient testing ethics and participate in writing of new research grant applications
- You must have experience in some combination of artificial intelligence, social robotics, voice agents and neurorobotics is essential for the post.
- Programming skills in C, C++ and/or Python as well as some experience in app development are advantageous.
- The ideal candidate will also have some experience (e.g. publications) in testing and deployment of social robots and/or intelligent voice agents.
This is a fixed term position for up to 36 months. We anticipate the start date of this role will be before the end of November 2020.
Candidates who have not yet been officially awarded their PhD will be appointed as a Research Assistant within the salary range £35,477 - £38,566 per annum.
Due to the nature of this role we will be shortlisting candidate as applications are received. We therefore reserve the right to close this vacancy as soon as a suitable candidate has been appointed. It is advisable that you submit your application as early as possible to avoid disappointment.
Queries relating to the position should be directed to Dr Ravi Vaidyanathan at firstname.lastname@example.org
Our preferred method of application is via our website. Please click “APPLY NOW” to go through to the online application form. Should you have any queries regarding the application process please contact Miss Helen Stoneham at email@example.com.
For technical issues when applying online please email firstname.lastname@example.org Please ensure that you include the job reference number in any correspondence.
Committed to equality and valuing diversity, we are an Athena SWAN Silver Award winner, a Stonewall Diversity Champion, a Disability Confident Employer and work in partnership with GIRES to promote respect for trans people.
About Imperial College London
Imperial College London is the UK’s only university focussed entirely on science, engineering, medicine and business and we are consistently rated in the top 10 universities in the world.
You will find our main London campus in South Kensington, with our hospital campuses located nearby in West and North London. We also have Silwood Park in Berkshire and state-of-the-art facilities in development at our major new campus in White City.
We work in a multidisciplinary and diverse community for education, research, translation and commercialisation, harnessing science and innovation to tackle the big global challenges our complex world faces.
It’s our mission to achieve enduring excellence in all that we do for the benefit of society – and we are looking for the most talented people to help us get there.
Please note that job descriptions cannot be exhaustive and the post-holder may be required to undertake other duties, which are broadly in line with the above key responsibilities.
All Imperial employees are expected to follow the 7 principles of Imperial Expectations:
- Champion a positive approach to change and opportunity
- Communicate regularly and effectively within, and across, teams
- Consider the thoughts and expectations of others
- Deliver positive outcomes
- Encourage inclusive participation and eliminate discrimination
- Develop and grow skills and expertise
- Work in a planned and managed way
In addition to the above, employees are required to observe and comply with all College policies and regulations.
We are committed to equality of opportunity, to eliminating discrimination and to creating an inclusive working environment for all. We therefore encourage candidates to apply irrespective of age, disability, marriage or civil partnership status, pregnancy or maternity, race, religion and belief, gender identity, sex, or sexual orientation. We are an Athena SWAN Silver Award winner, a Disability Confident Leader and a Stonewall Diversity Champion.
For technical issues when applying online please email email@example.com.
Top 10 Employer for Working Families
Top 10 employer for working families
Athena SWAN Silver Award 2016
We renewed our Silver in the April 2016 submission round. Recognising advancement of gender equality.
Disability Confident leader
Imperial is a Disability Confident leader
Imperial is working in partnership with GIRES to promote respect and provide equal treatment for trans people