Research Associate- Spatial Audio and Virtual Reality
The purpose of the post is to engage with spatial audio development and experiments within the “Both EARS training package (BEARS) to maximise hearing abilities in teenage bilateral cochlear implant users” research project, and in specific to: 1. Using a participatory design approach, develop spatial hearing applications in Unity specifically for training bilateral hearing with teenage cochlear implantees. 2. Liaise with the other project...
Job listing information
- Reference ENG01556
- Date posted 10 February 2021
- Closing date 12 March 2021
The purpose of the post is to engage with spatial audio development and experiments within the “Both EARS training package (BEARS) to maximise hearing abilities in teenage bilateral cochlear implant users” research project, and in specific to:
1. Using a participatory design approach, develop spatial hearing applications in Unity specifically for training bilateral hearing with teenage cochlear implantees.
2. Liaise with the other project partners and contribute to the design and carry out of the evaluation of the developed applications.
Duties and responsibilities
The activities specifically associated with this post are to:
• Design and develop immersive audio-visual tools and applications using off-the-shelf and custom equipment. These can be implemented in programming languages/environments such as Unity, C#/Swift, C++, and others. In terms of hardware, the platforms that will be used are iOS and Oculus Rift/Go/Quest.
• Design and develop immersive audio experiments, specifically on spatial hearing and speech perception within AR/VR environments.
• Publish the research outputs in national and international conferences and high-impact journals
• Engage with the other project team members (both within Imperial and within the BEARS consortium) in implementation, research, management and dissemination/exploitation activities in line with the project workplan.
•Explore broader applications of the research, including the potential release of the developed tools/application • Assist with impact and public engagement activities involving industry, students, open-source community.
• A PhD or near completion of one in areas related with computing, hearing sciences, digital signal processing, music technology and/or acoustics (equivalent industry experience will be considered)
• Experience of computer programming for Virtual and Augmented Reality in Unity (other similar development platforms might also be considered)
• Experience with integrating hardware and software components and interfaces (e.g. motion trackers, game controllers, tracking systems)
• Knowledge of principles and techniques in acoustics and digital signal processing.
*Candidates who have not yet been officially awarded their PhD will be appointed as Research Assistant within the salary range £36,045 - £39,183 per annum.
This is a full time fixed term post for 18months
For informal enquiries about the post please contact Dr Lorenzo Picinali – email@example.com
Any queries regarding the application process should be directed to Sarah Wissing at firstname.lastname@example.org
For technical issues with applying, please email: email@example.com
About Imperial College London
Imperial College London is the UK’s only university focussed entirely on science, engineering, medicine and business and we are consistently rated in the top 10 universities in the world.
You will find our main London campus in South Kensington, with our hospital campuses located nearby in West and North London. We also have Silwood Park in Berkshire and state-of-the-art facilities in development at our major new campus in White City.
We work in a multidisciplinary and diverse community for education, research, translation and commercialisation, harnessing science and innovation to tackle the big global challenges our complex world faces.
It’s our mission to achieve enduring excellence in all that we do for the benefit of society – and we are looking for the most talented people to help us get there.
Please note that job descriptions cannot be exhaustive, and the post-holder may be required to undertake other duties, which are broadly in line with the above key responsibilities.
Imperial College is committed to equality of opportunity and to eliminating discrimination. All employees are expected to follow the Imperial Values & Behaviours framework. Our values are:
In addition to the above, employees are required to observe and comply with all College policies and regulations.
We are committed to equality of opportunity, to eliminating discrimination and to creating an inclusive working environment for all. We therefore encourage candidates to apply irrespective of age, disability, marriage or civil partnership status, pregnancy or maternity, race, religion and belief, gender identity, sex, or sexual orientation. We are an Athena SWAN Silver Award winner, a Disability Confident Leader and a Stonewall Diversity Champion.
For technical issues when applying online please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Top 10 Employer for Working Families
Top 10 employer for working families
Athena SWAN Silver Award 2016
We renewed our Silver in the April 2016 submission round. Recognising advancement of gender equality.
Disability Confident leader
Imperial is a Disability Confident leader
Imperial is working in partnership with GIRES to promote respect and provide equal treatment for trans people