Lecturer/Senior Lecturer in Geotechnics
The Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering has an exciting new academic vacancy and is looking for highly able, enthusiastic and well-motivated applicants wishing to develop a career in one of Europe’s leading teaching and research institutions. The appointment is at Lecturer / Senior Lecturer level, depending on experience and track record. The Department has an outstanding international reputation, consistently achieving the...
Job listing information
- Reference ENG01866
- Date posted 13 September 2021
- Closing date 22 October 2021
The Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering has an exciting new academic vacancy and is looking for highly able, enthusiastic and well-motivated applicants wishing to develop a career in one of Europe’s leading teaching and research institutions. The appointment is at Lecturer / Senior Lecturer level, depending on experience and track record.
The Department has an outstanding international reputation, consistently achieving the highest rating from all previous UK research assessment exercises. The successful candidate will become a member of the Geotechnics Section and will undertake internationally leading research; build a research group consistent with a developing international reputation; and undertake teaching (both under-graduate and post-graduate) of the highest standard.
The appointee will be encouraged to take full advantage of the extensive laboratory facilities that are housed within the Civil Engineering Department on Imperial’s South Kensington campus.
This is a full-time, open ended post.
Duties and responsibilities
You will plan, resource and direct an original and impacting research programme in one or more aspects of sustainable and resilient design of civil engineering infrastructure associated with zero carbon economy. Areas of particular interest include:
- Engineering geology
- Geotechnical and geological soil / rock characterisation
- Development of quantitative ground models for predictive analyses
- Laboratory and field investigation / monitoring techniques
You will have the capability to conduct research projects on your own (supervising research students/assistants) and to develop collaborative projects, in particular with other members of the Department and College, to address broader engineering and social challenges.
You will also contribute to a broad range of both undergraduate (MEng) and post-graduate (MSc) teaching.
You will need to demonstrate that you meet the criteria listed below:
- PhD (or equivalent) in Geotechnical Engineering / Engineering Geology or a related field.
- A developing national reputation and expertise in the field of geotechnical engineering / engineering geology is essential at Lecturer level and an excellent record of research, evidenced by a portfolio of research publications, confirming national/ international standing (commensurate with career stage) is essential at Senior Lecturer level.
- A portfolio of research publications, confirming national standing (commensurate with career stage).
- Experience of preparing grant applications for submission is desirable at Lecturer level and a significant track record in attracting research funding is essential at Senior Lecturer level.
- Experience of training Undergraduate and Postgraduate students and supervision of higher degrees (MSc, PhD) is desirable at Lecturer level and essential at Senior Lecturer level.
- The ability to communicate well, conveying ideas and concepts clearly and effectively plus the ability to be collaborative and able to build and sustain effective working relationships, both internally and externally.
For informal enquiries about the post please contact Professor Lidija Zdravkovic at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Further information about the post is available in the job description.
Any queries regarding the application process should be directed to Lucy Chivers at email@example.com.
For technical issues when applying online please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
About Imperial College London
Imperial College London is the UK’s only university focussed entirely on science, engineering, medicine and business and we are consistently rated in the top 10 universities in the world.
You will find our main London campus in South Kensington, with our hospital campuses located nearby in West and North London. We also have Silwood Park in Berkshire and state-of-the-art facilities in development at our major new campus in White City.
We work in a multidisciplinary and diverse community for education, research, translation and commercialisation, harnessing science and innovation to tackle the big global challenges our complex world faces.
It’s our mission to achieve enduring excellence in all that we do for the benefit of society – and we are looking for the most talented people to help us get there.
Please note that job descriptions cannot be exhaustive and the post-holder may be required to undertake other duties, which are broadly in line with the above key responsibilities.
All Imperial employees are expected to follow the 7 principles of Imperial Expectations:
- Champion a positive approach to change and opportunity
- Communicate regularly and effectively within, and across, teams
- Consider the thoughts and expectations of others
- Deliver positive outcomes
- Encourage inclusive participation and eliminate discrimination
- Develop and grow skills and expertise
- Work in a planned and managed way
In addition to the above, employees are required to observe and comply with all College policies and regulations.
We are committed to equality of opportunity, to eliminating discrimination and to creating an inclusive working environment for all. We therefore encourage candidates to apply irrespective of age, disability, marriage or civil partnership status, pregnancy or maternity, race, religion and belief, gender identity, sex, or sexual orientation. We are an Athena SWAN Silver Award winner, a Disability Confident Leader and a Stonewall Diversity Champion.
For technical issues when applying online please email email@example.com.
Top 10 Employer for Working Families
Top 10 employer for working families
Athena SWAN Silver Award 2016
We renewed our Silver in the April 2016 submission round. Recognising advancement of gender equality.
Disability Confident leader
Imperial is a Disability Confident leader
Imperial is working in partnership with GIRES to promote respect and provide equal treatment for trans people