Research Assistant / Research Associate in Bayesian Optimisation & Experimental Design
The post of Research Assistant (pre-doctoral) or Research Associate (post-doctoral) will conduct research at the intersection of computational optimisation, machine learning, and experimental design of new chemistry. We will develop Bayesian optimisation and other active learning approaches for experimental design with a focus on real-world systems. While most of the work will be computational or mathematical, the successful candidate will...
Job listing information
- Reference ENG02581
- Date posted 24 April 2023
- Closing date 15 May 2023
The post of Research Assistant (pre-doctoral) or Research Associate (post-doctoral) will conduct research at the intersection of computational optimisation, machine learning, and experimental design of new chemistry. We will develop Bayesian optimisation and other active learning approaches for experimental design with a focus on real-world systems. While most of the work will be computational or mathematical, the successful candidate will also have the opportunity to visit BASF in Ludwigshafen, Germany for three months to try out the new algorithms in the lab.
The successful candidate will collaborate with Professor Ruth Misener and Dr Calvin Tsay in the Imperial College London Department of Computing and will be a member of the broader EPSRC-funded project IConIC (Innovative Continuous Manufacturing of Industrial Chemicals)
Duties and responsibilities
In addition to publishing research in top optimisation and machine learning venues, the Research Assistant/Associate will be expected to contribute towards developing and maintaining open source software related to this project (https://github.com/cog-imperial).
- To propose and investigate new techniques and algorithms for experimental design.
- To plan and carry out research in accordance with the project aims and timeframes.
- To collaborate and cooperate with other research staff and industrial partners of the
same project and other AI for Science projects funded by the UK EPSRC.
- To act as the representative for Imperial College in meetings, conference calls and
- To present research at conferences, workshops, open days, and publish research
results in journals.
- To liaise with other members of the team and cooperate with them for the benefit of the project objectives.
- To collaborate with industrial project partners.
- To collaborate with other researchers and staff within IConIC and participate in IConIC activities.
- To develop contacts and research collaborations in order to further the project aims.
- Assist in the supervision of undergraduate and postgraduate research students and research
assistants as required.
- To take initiatives in the planning of research.
- To maintain highly organised and accurate record of experimental work.
- To develop and maintain open-source software together with other group members.
To apply for this position, you must have a proven strong publication track-record in machine learning, computational optimisation, process systems engineering, or a closely related discipline. Algorithms development experience is also essential.
You should also have:
- Research Associate level:
- A PhD (or equivalent) in an area pertinent to the subject area, e.g., Computer Science, Applied Mathematics, Engineering Physics or Chemical Engineering. Alternatively, equivalent research or industrial experience.
- Proven publication track-record, in one or more of the following areas: computational optimisation, open-source software, machine learning
- Research Assistant level:
- Be close to completion of a PhD (or equivalent) in an area pertinent to the subject area, i.e., Computer Science, Applied Mathematics, Engineering Physics or Chemical Engineering. Alternatively, equivalent research or industrial experience.
- Completion of courses or project work in one or more of the following areas: computational optimisation, open-source software, machine learning.
See job description for full list of requirements.
For further information on the Prof Misener’s and Dr Tsay’s research and related projects in the Computational Optimisation Group (http://optimisation.doc.ic.ac.uk), see http://wp.doc.ic.ac.uk/rmisener/ and https://www.doc.ic.ac.uk/~ctsay/
*Candidates who have not yet been officially awarded their PhD will be appointed as Research Assistant within the salary range £38,194 - £41,388 per annum.
How to apply - In addition to completing the online application, candidates should attach:
- A full CV, with a list of all publications
- A 2-page research statement indicating what you see are interesting research issues relating to the above post and why your expertise is relevant
Informal enquiries related to the position should be directed to Professor Ruth Misener firstname.lastname@example.org
For queries regarding the application process contact Jamie Perrins: email@example.com
About Imperial College London
Imperial College London is the UK’s only university focussed entirely on science, engineering, medicine and business and we are consistently rated in the top 10 universities in the world.
You will find our main London campus in South Kensington, with our hospital campuses located nearby in West and North London. We also have Silwood Park in Berkshire and state-of-the-art facilities in development at our major new campus in White City.
We work in a multidisciplinary and diverse community for education, research, translation and commercialisation, harnessing science and innovation to tackle the big global challenges our complex world faces.
It’s our mission to achieve enduring excellence in all that we do for the benefit of society – and we are looking for the most talented people to help us get there.
Please note that job descriptions cannot be exhaustive, and the post-holder may be required to undertake other duties, which are broadly in line with the above key responsibilities.
Imperial College is committed to equality of opportunity and to eliminating discrimination. All employees are expected to follow the Imperial Values & Behaviours framework. Our values are:
In addition to the above, employees are required to observe and comply with all College policies and regulations.
We are committed to equality of opportunity, to eliminating discrimination and to creating an inclusive working environment for all. We therefore encourage candidates to apply irrespective of age, disability, marriage or civil partnership status, pregnancy or maternity, race, religion and belief, gender reassignment, sex, or sexual orientation. We are an Athena SWAN Silver Award winner, a Disability Confident Leader and a Stonewall Diversity Champion.
For technical issues when applying online please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Top 10 Employer for Working Families
Top 10 employer for working families
Race Equality Charter Bronze Award
Race Equality Charter Bronze Award
Athena SWAN Silver Award 2016
We renewed our Silver in the April 2016 submission round. Recognising advancement of gender equality.
Disability Confident leader
Imperial is a Disability Confident leader
Imperial is working in partnership with GIRES to promote respect and provide equal treatment for trans people