Chapman Fellowships in Mathematics
Applications are invited for Chapman Fellowships in the Department of Mathematics, commencing on 1 October 2019. There are three positions available, which will each be fixed term for 2 years. These posts provide an excellent opportunity for those seeking to pursue an academic career in Mathematics. Please ensure to nominate an academic in the Department of Mathematics at Imperial College London to review your application, by both noting...
Job listing information
- Reference NAT00270
- Date posted 1 September 2018
- Closing date 15 November 2018
Applications are invited for Chapman Fellowships in the Department of Mathematics, commencing on 1 October 2019. There are three positions available, which will each be fixed term for 2 years. These posts provide an excellent opportunity for those seeking to pursue an academic career in Mathematics.
Please ensure to nominate an academic in the Department of Mathematics at Imperial College London to review your application, by both noting ‘nominated academic:’ followed by their name at the top of your application and by notifying David Whittaker via email at firstname.lastname@example.org
Duties and responsibilities
The Chapman Fellows will produce independent and original research within the Department of Mathematics, submit publications to refereed journals, and help with teaching and administration. The post holders will be expected to undertake a self-directed program of research and scholarship, play a role in the national and international Mathematics community, in addition to teaching students at undergraduate level. They will also take a role in MSc teaching where appropriate.
The essential requirements for this post are as follows:
• A good honours degree (or equivalent) in Mathematics
• PhD (or equivalent) in Mathematics or a closely related subject
• A proven research record in Mathematics (in one of the fields of Applied Mathematics, Pure Mathematics, Statistics or Mathematical Finance)
• The potential for strong leadership qualities in the subject, as illustrated, for example, through showing initiative on research projects.
• An outstanding research record commensurate with their level of experience as demonstrated, for example, through an outstanding thesis, publications, conference presentations etc.
• An exceptional ability in the chosen research area.
• The ability to contribute significantly to the research environment of the Department of Mathematics as demonstrated, for example, through a proven track record of successful research interaction.
• The ability to teach Mathematics at Undergraduate and Postgraduate level, as shown by a good level in written and verbal communication skills together with the ability to give effective presentations.
Further information about Imperial College London, the Department of Mathematics can be found at: http://www.ma.imperial.ac.uk
There are 3 positions available for a fixed duration of 2 years.
If you have any queries about the posts, please contact Professor John Gibbon: email@example.com
Queries relating to the application process should be directed to Mr David Whittaker (Executive Assistant and Central Office Manager): firstname.lastname@example.org
If you experience any technical issues when applying online, please contact the Recruitment team: email@example.com
The College is a proud signatory to the San-Francisco Declaration on Research Assessment (DORA), which means that in hiring and promotion decisions, we evaluate applicants on the quality of their work, not the journal impact factor where it is published. For more information, see https://www.imperial.ac.uk/research-and-innovation/about-imperial-research/research-evaluation/
The College believes that the use of animals in research is vital to improve human and animal health and welfare. Animals may only be used in research programmes where their use is shown to be necessary for developing new treatments and making medical advances. Imperial is committed to ensuring that, in cases where this research is deemed essential, all animals in the College’s care are treated with full respect, and that all staff involved with this work show due consideration at every level.
About Imperial College London
Imperial College London is the UK’s only university focussed entirely on science, engineering, medicine and business and we are consistently rated in the top 10 universities in the world.
You will find our main London campus in South Kensington, with our hospital campuses located nearby in West and North London. We also have Silwood Park in Berkshire and state-of-the-art facilities in development at our major new campus in White City.
We work in a multidisciplinary and diverse community for education, research, translation and commercialisation, harnessing science and innovation to tackle the big global challenges our complex world faces.
It’s our mission to achieve enduring excellence in all that we do for the benefit of society – and we are looking for the most talented people to help us get there.
Please note that job descriptions cannot be exhaustive and the post-holder may be required to undertake other duties, which are broadly in line with the above key responsibilities.
All Imperial employees are expected to follow the 7 principles of Imperial Expectations:
- Champion a positive approach to change and opportunity
- Communicate regularly and effectively within, and across, teams
- Consider the thoughts and expectations of others
- Deliver positive outcomes
- Encourage inclusive participation and eliminate discrimination
- Develop and grow skills and expertise
- Work in a planned and managed way
In addition to the above, employees are required to observe and comply with all College policies and regulations.
Imperial College is committed to equality of opportunity, to eliminating discrimination and to creating an inclusive working environment. We are an Athena SWAN Silver award winner, a Stonewall Diversity Champion, a Disability Confident Employer and work in partnership with GIRES to promote respect for trans people.
Athena SWAN Silver Award 2016
We renewed our Silver in the April 2016 submission round. Recognising advancement of gender equality.