Lecturer/Senior Lecturer in Numerical Analysis and/or Scientific Computing
The Department of Mathematics seeks applications for a permanent academic with an active research programme in numerical analysis and/or scientific computing that includes strong interdisciplinary links to topics in the Mathematics of Planet Earth. The appointment will be made at the level of Lecturer or Senior Lecturer (equivalent to assistant/associate professor) and is to start on 1 April 2021, or as soon as possible thereafter. ...
Job listing information
- Reference NAT00801
- Date posted 12 November 2020
- Closing date 6 January 2021
The Department of Mathematics seeks applications for a permanent academic with an active research programme in numerical analysis and/or scientific computing that includes strong interdisciplinary links to topics in the Mathematics of Planet Earth. The appointment will be made at the level of Lecturer or Senior Lecturer (equivalent to assistant/associate professor) and is to start on 1 April 2021, or as soon as possible thereafter.
Applicants will be active researchers making contributions to numerical analysis and/or scientific computing in the form of theoretical advances, novel numerical software and/or innovative applications, along with strong interdisciplinary links to topics in the Mathematics of Planet Earth.
Further information about the Department of Mathematics and the research interests of its members and can be found in the departmental (http://www.imperial.ac.uk/mathematics) and the section websites (http://www.imperial.ac.uk/ammp).
Duties and responsibilities
You will undertake a self-directed program of research and scholarship at a level commensurate with the current standards of excellence in the Department of Mathematics and Imperial College London. The role will involve lecturing undergraduate and postgraduate courses, supervising research and PhD students, in addition to managing staff such as postdoctoral Research Associates. The successful candidate will promote the reputation of the Section, the Department, and the College, through scientific meetings and other activities
- A PhD (or equivalent) in mathematics or a closely related discipline.
- The successful candidate will work in the fields of numerical analysis and/or scientific computing broadly interpreted, with strong interdisciplinary links to topics in the Mathematics of Planet Earth.
- Proven ability to conduct a personal research programme at the highest level and the ability to attract competitive research funding, and will be able to demonstrate strong leadership potential
- Experience or clear potential to teach and supervise at undergraduate and postgraduate levels, and the subject knowledge to teach core undergraduate numerical and computational modules, as well as advanced modules in fields relevant to their research.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills are essential, both within the discipline and to broader audiences.
- A perspective towards applications in the sustainable societies theme e.g. renewal energy, smart cities, geoscientific modelling, circular economy, future transport, low carbon technologies, ecosystems and conservation, emerging technologies.
- Ability to interact effectively with the broad range of research expertise in the Department of Mathematics, bringing together mathematical links to develop an exemplary research programme.
For informal discussions about this position, please contact Professor G.A. Pavliotis, Head of the Applied Mathematics and Mathematical Physics Section (email@example.com), Professor C.J. Cotter (firstname.lastname@example.org), Head of the Mathematics of Planet Earth Research Group, or Dr D.A. Ham (email@example.com), Reader in Computational Mathematics.
Information about the post is included in the Job Description (Further Particulars included).
Guidance on completing the on-line academic application, including mandatory areas that should be included in the application, is available at http://www.imperial.ac.uk/jobs/guidance-and-faqs/
In addition to completing the online application, candidates should attach a full CV, with contact details for three referees.
For technical issues when applying online, please contact: firstname.lastname@example.org
About Imperial College London
Imperial College London is the UK’s only university focussed entirely on science, engineering, medicine and business and we are consistently rated in the top 10 universities in the world.
You will find our main London campus in South Kensington, with our hospital campuses located nearby in West and North London. We also have Silwood Park in Berkshire and state-of-the-art facilities in development at our major new campus in White City.
We work in a multidisciplinary and diverse community for education, research, translation and commercialisation, harnessing science and innovation to tackle the big global challenges our complex world faces.
It’s our mission to achieve enduring excellence in all that we do for the benefit of society – and we are looking for the most talented people to help us get there.
Please note that job descriptions cannot be exhaustive, and the post-holder may be required to undertake other duties, which are broadly in line with the above key responsibilities.
Imperial College is committed to equality of opportunity and to eliminating discrimination. All employees are expected to follow the Imperial Values & Behaviours framework. Our values are:
In addition to the above, employees are required to observe and comply with all College policies and regulations.
We are committed to equality of opportunity, to eliminating discrimination and to creating an inclusive working environment for all. We therefore encourage candidates to apply irrespective of age, disability, marriage or civil partnership status, pregnancy or maternity, race, religion and belief, gender identity, sex, or sexual orientation. We are an Athena SWAN Silver Award winner, a Disability Confident Leader and a Stonewall Diversity Champion.
For technical issues when applying online please email email@example.com.
Top 10 Employer for Working Families
Top 10 employer for working families
Athena SWAN Silver Award 2016
We renewed our Silver in the April 2016 submission round. Recognising advancement of gender equality.
Disability Confident leader
Imperial is a Disability Confident leader
Imperial is working in partnership with GIRES to promote respect and provide equal treatment for trans people