Imperial College Union is the Students' Union at Imperial. We are separate to the College, but we work closely with them to make a positive impact on the experiences and outcomes of all Imperial College students from all backgrounds. We are hiring for a new Advice Manager to join our growing team. This is a critical role in supporting the Students’ Union to deliver high-quality, free and impartial advice to students at Imperial College...
Job listing information
- Reference PRO00610
- Date posted 12 October 2021
- Closing date 22 October 2021
Imperial College Union is the Students' Union at Imperial. We are separate to the College, but we work closely with them to make a positive impact on the experiences and outcomes of all Imperial College students from all backgrounds.
We are hiring for a new Advice Manager to join our growing team. This is a critical role in supporting the Students’ Union to deliver high-quality, free and impartial advice to students at Imperial College London. The role holder will oversee two Advice Caseworkers, as well as an Advice Administration and Outreach Coordinator, as well as review and oversee the processes and procedures by which the advice centre runs its business.
Duties and responsibilities
- To supervise and provide support to the advice centre team, being a first point of contact for queries, reviewing approaches to caseload in the shared inbox, and identifying and reporting training needs.
- To support the management and prioritisation of all caseworks according to need and urgency.
- To present monthly reports on caseload to the Representation and Advice Manager, with recommendations on how to improve the service where necessary
- To ensure that casework management and procedures are in accordance with the Imperial College Union advice centre operating plan.
- To develop a stakeholder map of the key College relationships that are held by the advice centre.
- To conduct a full review of the existing processes and procedures by which the advice centre runs, ensuring they are fit for purpose and adaptive to the current climate.
- To attend relevant Union committee meetings and be involved in time limited working groups. Where appropriate, the Post-holder will act as staff support for the meeting or project and be responsible for the meeting notes, agendas and advice.
The full requirements are set out in the Job Description and Person Specification. However we’d like to particularly highlight the following as important:
- Experience of working at a senior level within a students’ union advice centre
- Experience of supervising and supporting staff or volunteers
- Experience of supporting casework from initial interaction to close
- Experience of supporting students or young people
- Experience of dealing with sensitive information and people in vulnerable or sensitive situations
- Understanding of policies and procedures in relation to advice delivery
- Understanding of issues affecting students in a higher education context
Please note this role is with the Students’ Union. We’re a registered charity in our right, with our own governance, systems, processes and objectives. However, we work extremely closely with Imperial College London, so you’ll also be joining a wider community of staff working within advice. If you’ve never worked in a students’ union, or are unsure why it’s different, we urge you to get in contact. It’s a brilliant place to work.
Please note you’ll need to complete the online application to be considered for this role.
Should you require any further details on the role please contact Cat Turhan (Representation & Advice Manager) – firstname.lastname@example.org
Closing date: 22 October 2021
Interviews: w/c 01 November 2021 (in person, but via video call can be arranged)
About Imperial College London
Imperial College London is the UK’s only university focussed entirely on science, engineering, medicine and business and we are consistently rated in the top 10 universities in the world.
You will find our main London campus in South Kensington, with our hospital campuses located nearby in West and North London. We also have Silwood Park in Berkshire and state-of-the-art facilities in development at our major new campus in White City.
We work in a multidisciplinary and diverse community for education, research, translation and commercialisation, harnessing science and innovation to tackle the big global challenges our complex world faces.
It’s our mission to achieve enduring excellence in all that we do for the benefit of society – and we are looking for the most talented people to help us get there.
Please note that job descriptions cannot be exhaustive and the post-holder may be required to undertake other duties, which are broadly in line with the above key responsibilities.
All Imperial employees are expected to follow the 7 principles of Imperial Expectations:
- Champion a positive approach to change and opportunity
- Communicate regularly and effectively within, and across, teams
- Consider the thoughts and expectations of others
- Deliver positive outcomes
- Encourage inclusive participation and eliminate discrimination
- Develop and grow skills and expertise
- Work in a planned and managed way
In addition to the above, employees are required to observe and comply with all College policies and regulations.
We are committed to equality of opportunity, to eliminating discrimination and to creating an inclusive working environment for all. We therefore encourage candidates to apply irrespective of age, disability, marriage or civil partnership status, pregnancy or maternity, race, religion and belief, gender identity, sex, or sexual orientation. We are an Athena SWAN Silver Award winner, a Disability Confident Leader and a Stonewall Diversity Champion.
For technical issues when applying online please email email@example.com.
Top 10 Employer for Working Families
Top 10 employer for working families
Athena SWAN Silver Award 2016
We renewed our Silver in the April 2016 submission round. Recognising advancement of gender equality.
Disability Confident leader
Imperial is a Disability Confident leader
Imperial is working in partnership with GIRES to promote respect and provide equal treatment for trans people