Terms and Conditions
Flash Points 2021 Video Competition Terms and Conditions
Flash Points 2021 is organised by SFPE Greater London Student Chapter. By entering the competition, you agree to accept the following terms and conditions:
Eligibility to Enter
- Flash Points 2021 is open to students over 18 years of age who are currently studying at a UK based university, or to those who have graduated from a UK based university within the last 12 months. It is open to both individuals and teams. There is no minimum or maximum number of members for a team submission. A representative or leader should, however, be designated in the case of a team submission.
- In entering Flash Points 2021, you confirm that you are eligible to do so and eligible to claim any prize you may win.
- A maximum of one submission per individual is permitted.
- The submitted video must be the individual or team’s original work.
- Videos submitted to other competitions (including previous Flash Points) are permitted, provided they did not win said competition.
- Flash Points 2021 is free to enter.
How to enter
- Individuals should create a 3 minute video summarising a piece of fire science or fire engineering research. This research could be the individual’s own experiments or modelling, or an original review of other people’s research.
- Videos can be produced in any language or none. However, if the video uses a language other than English, subtitles in English should be provided.
- Videos should be uploaded to YouTube, and a link shared with email@example.com with the subject “Flash Points 2021 Video Submission”.
Submissions should include the following:
- The name(s) of the participant(s).
- The UK university(s) that they are based at.
- A link to the video on YouTube.
- The title and topic of the video.
5. Entries must be submitted before 18:00 GMT on TBC.
Judging and winners
- The videos will be scored by a panel of judges based on the following categories:
- Structure and content of presentation (40 %)
- Creativity - Effective use of the medium (30 %)
- Presentation style (30 %)
- The video with the highest average score will be the winner of the competition.
- In the event of a tie, the judges will vote on a tie-break.
- The winner of the competition will be contacted via the email they used to submit their video. The winning entry will also be announced and shared on Twitter and LinkedIn through the accounts of the SFPE Greater London Student Chapter.
- The winning video will be awarded a cash prize of £350.
- SFPE Greater London Student Chapter reserve the right to veto any entry at any stage of the competition.
Data protection and publicity
- Copyright of the submitted video remains with the respective entrants. However, in consideration of winning one of the prizes, each entrant grants a worldwide royalty-free perpetual licence to SFPE Greater London Student Chapter to feature any or all of the submitted materials in any and all media for publicity and marketing purposes. This implies that any entry can be used for promotional purposes.
- All contest participants grant SFPE Greater London Student Chapter the perpetual licence to copy, edit, display, publish and make available their submission materials and agree that SFPE Greater London Student Chapter may publish their names in connection with this video contest.
- It is the responsibility of each entrant to ensure that all videos have been taken with the permission of the subject(s) (or, where the submission shows any underage persons, the consent of their parent) and/or venue/location/photo or sound owner and does not infringe on the copyright of any third party. Entrants guarantee that they own the copyright for the submissions and for the usage rights required by the contest, and that their entry does not infringe on the privacy rights, copyright, or any other rights of any person.
- Winners may be requested to offer support to promotional activities related to this contest such as personal profiles, background information and photos.
- SFPE Greater London Student Chapter reserve the right at any time to modify or discontinue, temporarily or permanently, this contest with or without prior notice due to reasons outside their control.
- For more information on Flash Points 2021 visit: https://www.imperial.ac.uk/mechanical-engineering/study/phd/sfpe-greater-london-student-chapter/flash-points-competition/