Presessional EAP (English for Academic Purposes) Teacher
The Centre is seeking to appoint a number of well-qualified and experienced EAP teachers to deliver our 6-week online pre-sessional course to prospective Imperial College students going on to undergraduate and postgraduate degrees in STEMM subjects. The pre-sessional is uniquely STEMM-focused and is delivered remotely using an online flipped approach. The platform used is Microsoft Teams integrated with OneNote Class Notebooks and Forms. All...
Job listing information
- Reference ACA00009
- Date posted 7 January 2022
- Closing date 3 March 2022
The Centre is seeking to appoint a number of well-qualified and experienced EAP teachers to deliver our 6-week online pre-sessional course to prospective Imperial College students going on to undergraduate and postgraduate degrees in STEMM subjects. The pre-sessional is uniquely STEMM-focused and is delivered remotely using an online flipped approach. The platform used is Microsoft Teams integrated with OneNote Class Notebooks and Forms.
All teachers take responsibility for managing two class teams as well as leading daily synchronous sessions. Teachers engage students in STEMM-related writing and communication activities which focus on current Imperial College research and involve Imperial College researchers. Working full-time, teachers attend daily meetings to report on student progress and receive training in teaching and assessing academic STEMM communication online. Teachers must be UK-based for the duration of the contract.
Duties and responsibilities
- Fully manage two class teams (using Microsoft Teams with OneNote Class Notebooks) to support students’ learning and progress in their academic STEMM literacy through the course
- Lead daily synchronous (live online) sessions in which undergraduate and postgraduate students practise what they have learnt in flipped work by carrying out Imperial-focused writing and communication tasks
- Manage your own workload in an online remote teaching and working environment
- Work independently to understand the course design and align your own teaching practice accordingly
- Evaluate students’ formative oral and written work to align with both the principles in the flipped learning and the course standards
- Monitor and record students’ progress throughout the course in a timely manner
- Provide clear, detailed and effective formative feedback in line with course deadlines
- Mark summative tests and assessment tasks in line with course deadlines
- Participate actively and professionally in daily staff meetings and training
- Guide students’ personal study
- Applicants should have a first degree, and DELTA (or equivalent) and/or postgraduate degree in Applied Linguistics/TESOL/EAP or other relevant area. We will also consider applicants with a Master’s degree in a relevant STEMM subject with a minimum CELTA teaching qualification (or equivalent) and some EAP experience.
- Applicants must be competent and confident in their use of ICT and able to adapt quicky and effectively to using new technology for teaching and course administration (Microsoft 365 apps including Teams, OneNote and Forms).
- Proven online teaching skills with experience of teaching a prescribed course syllabus and assessing EAP students at a range of levels in higher education contexts or similar in the UK or abroad.
- Experience of supporting independent learning in and outside the classroom.
- Experience of flipped EAP teaching.
- Experience of Pre-sessional teaching or ESAP (STEMM).
- Knowledge of key theories and good practice in EAP.
- Knowledge of EAP language learning, teaching, assessment, and course and materials design.
- Knowledge of English discourse and syntax.
Skills and Abilities
- Articulate, effective and highly competent communicator in speech, writing and online communication.
- Adaptable in using a range of hardware and software for online course delivery and willing to upskill where necessary.
- Competent in managing classroom interaction online both synchronously and asynchronously
- Ability and willingness to engage with complex material from a range of STEMM disciplines.
- Ability to engage enthusiastically with and communicate complex information to undergraduate and postgraduate STEMM students.
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team online to share ideas and practice.
- Excellent online personal organisation, administrative skills, and time management.
- Positive and professional attitude towards, and communication with, colleagues and students.
The course will run from Monday 11th July to Friday 19th August 2022 with tutor induction from Tuesday 5th July to Friday 8th July incl.
N.B. Applicants must be available for the entire duration of the course, including induction. Subsidised College accommodation may be available.
Should you have any queries about the post, please contact: firstname.lastname@example.org
Closing date for applications: Thursday 3rd March 2022
Interviews to be held week commencing Monday 21st March 2022
About Imperial College London
Imperial College London is the UK’s only university focussed entirely on science, engineering, medicine and business and we are consistently rated in the top 10 universities in the world.
You will find our main London campus in South Kensington, with our hospital campuses located nearby in West and North London. We also have Silwood Park in Berkshire and state-of-the-art facilities in development at our major new campus in White City.
We work in a multidisciplinary and diverse community for education, research, translation and commercialisation, harnessing science and innovation to tackle the big global challenges our complex world faces.
It’s our mission to achieve enduring excellence in all that we do for the benefit of society – and we are looking for the most talented people to help us get there.
Please note that job descriptions cannot be exhaustive, and the post-holder may be required to undertake other duties, which are broadly in line with the above key responsibilities.
Imperial College is committed to equality of opportunity and to eliminating discrimination. All employees are expected to follow the Imperial Values & Behaviours framework. Our values are:
In addition to the above, employees are required to observe and comply with all College policies and regulations.
We are committed to equality of opportunity, to eliminating discrimination and to creating an inclusive working environment for all. We therefore encourage candidates to apply irrespective of age, disability, marriage or civil partnership status, pregnancy or maternity, race, religion and belief, gender reassignment, sex, or sexual orientation. We are an Athena SWAN Silver Award winner, a Disability Confident Leader and a Stonewall Diversity Champion.
For technical issues when applying online please email email@example.com.
Top 10 Employer for Working Families
Top 10 employer for working families
Race Equality Charter Bronze Award
Race Equality Charter Bronze Award
Athena SWAN Silver Award 2016
We renewed our Silver in the April 2016 submission round. Recognising advancement of gender equality.
Disability Confident leader
Imperial is a Disability Confident leader
Imperial is working in partnership with GIRES to promote respect and provide equal treatment for trans people