This three-year post-doctoral position is for a talented and dedicated researcher working in the area of Household Finance. The position offers an exciting opportunity to join a new initiative focusing on household finance and decision-making in the professional, busy and expanding Department of Finance at Imperial College Business School. We are particularly interested in candidates that are familiar with modern empirical techniques including...
Job listing information
- Reference BUS00410
- Date posted 18 November 2021
- Closing date 10 February 2022
This three-year post-doctoral position is for a talented and dedicated researcher working in the area of Household Finance. The position offers an exciting opportunity to join a new initiative focusing on household finance and decision-making in the professional, busy and expanding Department of Finance at Imperial College Business School.
We are particularly interested in candidates that are familiar with modern empirical techniques including the use of machine learning, have experience working with large datasets, and comfortable with the tools of modern structural economic modelling to map patterns in the data back to models of household decision-making.
Duties and responsibilities
You will work on projects which harness technological prowess to unearth patterns from data on household decisions; and combine and discipline data analysis with economic theory and structural economic modelling. This will require a range of techniques in economic analysis including both empirical and theoretical work. The aspiration is to establish an academic knowledge-base on the underlying factors driving household decisions in a range of markets including risky assets, credit, pensions, and housing.
Key Responsibilities & Main Duties for Research Associate
- Conduct finance and economics research on a number of projects related to the initiative.
- Acquiring, collating, and analysing big datasets (structured, unstructured, administrative data, and surveys) from around the world documenting household financial and economic behaviour.
- Using state-of-the-art machine learning and other computing techniques to interrogate these data.
- Developing structural models to map patterns in the data into the beliefs, preferences, and constraints of households and of the agents that they interact with.
- Co-author manuscripts for submission to high-impact international journals in economics and finance.
- Contribute towards the development of research grant applications.
- Participate in the day to day research activities of the Business School
- Present your research to a variety of audiences including funders, academics, and policy makers, at seminars, national and international conferences
- Undertake appropriate administration tasks associated with working at Imperial College
- Work collaboratively with all members of the Centre, Business School and College
- Undertake any necessary training and/or development to equip you with the tools and ability to conduct the required research
- Hold a PhD or near completion of one in Economics or Finance
- Theoretical and statistical / econometric analyses in research projects
- Communication and dissemination of academic research to a variety of audiences
This full-time post will commence from July/August 2022 and will be for fixed term of 24 months (with possible extension for up to a further 12 months)
Imperial College offers a wide range of benefits as well as a unique opportunity to work with friendly and dedicated people. We also offer you our commitment to training and development and a generous leave provision.
Should you require any further details on the role please contact: The Brevan Howard Centre, on email@example.com
About Imperial College London
Imperial College London is the UK’s only university focussed entirely on science, engineering, medicine and business and we are consistently rated in the top 10 universities in the world.
You will find our main London campus in South Kensington, with our hospital campuses located nearby in West and North London. We also have Silwood Park in Berkshire and state-of-the-art facilities in development at our major new campus in White City.
We work in a multidisciplinary and diverse community for education, research, translation and commercialisation, harnessing science and innovation to tackle the big global challenges our complex world faces.
It’s our mission to achieve enduring excellence in all that we do for the benefit of society – and we are looking for the most talented people to help us get there.
Please note that job descriptions cannot be exhaustive, and the post-holder may be required to undertake other duties, which are broadly in line with the above key responsibilities.
Imperial College is committed to equality of opportunity and to eliminating discrimination. All employees are expected to follow the Imperial Values & Behaviours framework. Our values are:
In addition to the above, employees are required to observe and comply with all College policies and regulations.
We are committed to equality of opportunity, to eliminating discrimination and to creating an inclusive working environment for all. We therefore encourage candidates to apply irrespective of age, disability, marriage or civil partnership status, pregnancy or maternity, race, religion and belief, gender identity, sex, or sexual orientation. We are an Athena SWAN Silver Award winner, a Disability Confident Leader and a Stonewall Diversity Champion.
For technical issues when applying online please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Top 10 Employer for Working Families
Top 10 employer for working families
Race Equality Charter Bronze Award
Race Equality Charter Bronze Award
Athena SWAN Silver Award 2016
We renewed our Silver in the April 2016 submission round. Recognising advancement of gender equality.
Disability Confident leader
Imperial is a Disability Confident leader
Imperial is working in partnership with GIRES to promote respect and provide equal treatment for trans people