Head of Alumni Relations
Imperial College London has 4 faculties, and as one of the faculties at the university Imperial College Business School is currently seeking a full-time Head of Alumni Relations to lead the next phase of the school’s strategy for building strong relationships with graduates, and creating a shared sense of community. Interested? Then your next question is likely about what the role entails. In brief, the Head of Alumni Relations at the...
Job listing information
- Reference BUS00605
- Date posted 9 May 2023
- Closing date 30 May 2023
Imperial College London has 4 faculties, and as one of the faculties at the university Imperial College Business School is currently seeking a full-time Head of Alumni Relations to lead the next phase of the school’s strategy for building strong relationships with graduates, and creating a shared sense of community. Interested? Then your next question is likely about what the role entails.
In brief, the Head of Alumni Relations at the Business School will need to lead a team that is responsible for the following areas of activity:
- Creating a Shared Sense of Community: Increasing alumni volunteerism generally among alumni in the UK and overseas, especially with regards to critical activities such as rankings feedback and outcomes, and community outreach more generally.
- Resourcing and Alumni Engagement: Supporting activities that drive student recruitment, rankings outcomes, employability outcomes and alumni career progression generally.
- Supporting Fundraising: Helping build a culture of philanthropy and giving that supports the Business School’s strategic priorities and targeted initiatives.
- Enabling Collaboration: Building strong relationships within the Business School as well as with the university’s Advancement team, and in particular central Alumni Relations and the Regular Giving team.
The post holder will be a skilled and diplomatic communicator, who excels at building strategic relationships, and implements processes and techniques to deliver best outcomes. The Head of Alumni Relations will also be a creative solutions finder, with regards to marshalling the resources they have at their disposal.
With a significant history of successful leadership and developing metrics, the Head of Alumni Relations will work primarily with the Executive Director of Institutional Relations and Strategic Initiatives, the Director of Alumni Relations, and the Head of Development for the Business School, and other senior stakeholders across the university.
Duties and responsibilities
While a full job description can be shared with you, most essentially you will be responsible for the following activities and areas of competency:
- Strategy and Leadership: Work with senior leadership across the institution to make sure the Alumni Relations strategy is well-aligned with the Business School’s 10-year strategy, and the broader Alumni and Advancement strategy for the university.
- Alumni Engagement: Starting with the Alumni Advisory Board, you will lead the end-to-end engagement with Business School alumni, reporting on engagement, and help other teams at the school engage with alumni.
- General Management: You will be leading a sizable team that will help you deliver your mandate, and you will help your team develop their careers too.
- Committees and Meetings: You will participate in Rankings Committees, Advisory Board meetings, and will work with senior leadership to ensure Alumni Relations is an active advocate and partner to groups across the institution.
- Financial Management: You will be responsible for administering the financial resources allotted to Alumni Relations activities at the Business School.
- Institutional Engagement: You will also have the opportunity to engage with your counterparts at other institutions, and work with senior leadership to ensure the Business School is building strong partnerships globally.
While we’re looking for expertise, experience, and qualifications in a general sense, some of the more essential aspects of the role are as follows:
- Educated to a degree level or equivalent
- Previous leadership experience and especially with regards to strategy development and execution
- Working in large, complex organisations and an ability to manage a broad selection of relationships
- Experience in developing engagement programmes for targeted stakeholders, that link to strategic outcomes
- Experience in developing and reporting on key performance indicators (KPIs)
- Experience in managing and developing a teams
- Experience in working with alumni, and particularly with business school graduates
- Strong communication, negotiation, and influencing skills
- Understanding of the technology that enables effective relationship management
- Strong fluency in the English language
- Strong sector-specific knowledge and network in higher education
This is a permanent, full-time placement and the candidate is expected to work on site at least 4 days per week at our South Kensington Campus in London.
This role includes international travel.
Should you require any further details on the role please contact: Joel McConnell, Executive Director of Institutional Relations and Strategic Initiatives at firstname.lastname@example.org
About Imperial College London
Imperial College London is the UK’s only university focussed entirely on science, engineering, medicine and business and we are consistently rated in the top 10 universities in the world.
You will find our main London campus in South Kensington, with our hospital campuses located nearby in West and North London. We also have Silwood Park in Berkshire and state-of-the-art facilities in development at our major new campus in White City.
We work in a multidisciplinary and diverse community for education, research, translation and commercialisation, harnessing science and innovation to tackle the big global challenges our complex world faces.
It’s our mission to achieve enduring excellence in all that we do for the benefit of society – and we are looking for the most talented people to help us get there.
Please note that job descriptions cannot be exhaustive, and the post-holder may be required to undertake other duties, which are broadly in line with the above key responsibilities.
Imperial College is committed to equality of opportunity and to eliminating discrimination. All employees are expected to follow the Imperial Values & Behaviours framework. Our values are:
In addition to the above, employees are required to observe and comply with all College policies and regulations.
We are committed to equality of opportunity, to eliminating discrimination and to creating an inclusive working environment for all. We therefore encourage candidates to apply irrespective of age, disability, marriage or civil partnership status, pregnancy or maternity, race, religion and belief, gender reassignment, sex, or sexual orientation. We are an Athena SWAN Silver Award winner, a Disability Confident Leader and a Stonewall Diversity Champion.
For technical issues when applying online please email email@example.com.
Top 10 Employer for Working Families
Top 10 employer for working families
Race Equality Charter Bronze Award
Race Equality Charter Bronze Award
Athena SWAN Silver Award 2016
We renewed our Silver in the April 2016 submission round. Recognising advancement of gender equality.
Disability Confident leader
Imperial is a Disability Confident leader
Imperial is working in partnership with GIRES to promote respect and provide equal treatment for trans people