Lecturer/Senior Lecturer in Geotechnics
The Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering is seeking a Lecturer/Senior Lecturer to conduct high quality research and teaching related to Geotechnics. The preferred candidate will be an experimentalist capable of taking full advantage, and contributing to the further development, of our extensive laboratory facilities. We are particularly interested in the area of resilience, sustainability and reuse of infrastructure materials,...
Job listing information
- Reference ENG00640
- Date posted 11 December 2018
- Closing date 31 January 2019
The Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering is seeking a Lecturer/Senior Lecturer to conduct high quality research and teaching related to Geotechnics.
The preferred candidate will be an experimentalist capable of taking full advantage, and contributing to the further development, of our extensive laboratory facilities. We are particularly interested in the area of resilience, sustainability and reuse of infrastructure materials, involving:
- Mechanical characterisation of soil mixes with reinforcing fibres and other modifying agents, under static, dynamic and seasonally varying loading conditions imposed by environmental factors, including vehicle loading.
- Long-term mechanical behaviour of geomaterials due to creep and ageing processes in the ground, including the effects of seasonal temperature cycles in ground source energy exploration.
This is a full time open ended post.
The salary range at Lecturer Level is £50,681 to £65,620 per annum and at Senior Lecturer Level is £62,858 to £65,620 per annum.
Duties and responsibilities
You will have the capability to carry out research projects alone (supervising research students/assistants) and will also be expected to develop and lead collaborative projects, particularly with other members of the Department, to tackle broader challenges.
You will also be expected to plan, resource and direct an original and high quality research programme in the broad area of Geotechnical Engineering, building on and extending the Section’s current activities which range from particulate micromechanics up to full-scale soil-structure interaction, to include:
- formulating an original and potentially significant programme of research, and submitting research proposals and funding bids to support it;
- developing a research group, primarily based on the supervision of postdoctoral researchers and postgraduate students;
- planning and successfully executing original and significant research projects;
- disseminating results via the leading international journals and conferences and by direct engagement with users;
- engaging with industry and other agencies to identify current challenges justifying research; and
- maintaining a leading and prominent role in the research area.
You will also be capable of contributing to the Department’s wide spectrum of Undergraduate and Postgraduate teaching through lectures, seminars, course work, tutorials and personal supervision.
You must have a PhD (or equivalent) in a subject relevant to Soil Mechanics and Geotechnical Engineering, together with a track record (or ability to develop a track record) of high quality research activity demonstrated by the publishing of technical papers in leading international peer-reviewed journals.
A national reputation (or developing reputation) in your chosen research area together with a detailed understanding of the fundamental principles of Soil Mechanics and their wider application to Civil Engineering problems is essential.
You must also have experience in advanced laboratory testing techniques and equipment development.
You will have the ability to interact positively with other academics, a willingness to communicate well, especially in teaching, and an ability to coordinate, organise, lead and inspire the work of others.
You will also have the ability and willingness to seek external funding from Research Councils, Government, EU and Industry.
For informal enquiries about the post you may contact Professor Lidija Zdravkovic at firstname.lastname@example.org
Further information is available in the job description.
Any queries regarding the application process should be directed to Lucy Chivers at email@example.com
About Imperial College London
Imperial College London is the UK’s only university focussed entirely on science, engineering, medicine and business and we are consistently rated in the top 10 universities in the world.
You will find our main London campus in South Kensington, with our hospital campuses located nearby in West and North London. We also have Silwood Park in Berkshire and state-of-the-art facilities in development at our major new campus in White City.
We work in a multidisciplinary and diverse community for education, research, translation and commercialisation, harnessing science and innovation to tackle the big global challenges our complex world faces.
It’s our mission to achieve enduring excellence in all that we do for the benefit of society – and we are looking for the most talented people to help us get there.
Please note that job descriptions cannot be exhaustive and the post-holder may be required to undertake other duties, which are broadly in line with the above key responsibilities.
All Imperial employees are expected to follow the 7 principles of Imperial Expectations:
- Champion a positive approach to change and opportunity
- Communicate regularly and effectively within, and across, teams
- Consider the thoughts and expectations of others
- Deliver positive outcomes
- Encourage inclusive participation and eliminate discrimination
- Develop and grow skills and expertise
- Work in a planned and managed way
In addition to the above, employees are required to observe and comply with all College policies and regulations.
Imperial College is committed to equality of opportunity, to eliminating discrimination and to creating an inclusive working environment. We are an Athena SWAN Silver award winner, a Stonewall Diversity Champion, a Disability Confident Employer and work in partnership with GIRES to promote respect for trans people.
Athena SWAN Silver Award 2016
We renewed our Silver in the April 2016 submission round. Recognising advancement of gender equality.
Disability Confident employer
Imperial is a Disability Confident employer