Research Fellow in Intelligent Data Processing and Curation
Are you an excellent data scientist with a clear research vision looking to secure a personal fellowship and establish your own research group? The Data Science Institute (DSI) at Imperial College, in collaboration with Refinitiv, wishes to nurture the next generation of outstanding researchers and invites applications for an attractive and flexible fellowship for those wishing to develop a research career. The cost of your salary,...
Job listing information
- Reference ENG00796
- Date posted 4 April 2019
- Closing date 7 May 2019
Are you an excellent data scientist with a clear research vision looking to secure a personal fellowship and establish your own research group? The Data Science Institute (DSI) at Imperial College, in collaboration with Refinitiv, wishes to nurture the next generation of outstanding researchers and invites applications for an attractive and flexible fellowship for those wishing to develop a research career. The cost of your salary, commensurate with experience, for up to 36 months, with modest consumables, will be covered whilst you develop and submit strong applications for an independent externally funded fellowship to establish your own research group at the DSI. You will work in close collaboration with the team at Refinitiv, applying your research to day to day business problems, and aligning your research with Refinitiv’s priority business areas.
Refinitiv: The Financial and Risk Business of Thomson Reuters is now Refinitiv. Refinitiv equips the financial community with access to an open platform that uncovers opportunity and catalyzes change. With a dynamic combination of data, insights, technology, and news from Reuters, our customers can access solutions for every challenge, including a breadth of applications, tools, and content—all supported by human expertise. Refinitiv, facilitate the connections that propel people and organizations to find new possibilities to move forward.
Duties and responsibilities
- You will develop compelling and original research in Intelligent Data Processing and Curation;
- You will develop a personal programme of research, developing research proposals and funding bids and be successfully awarded them;
- You will take initiatives in the planning and leading of independent research;
- You will direct the work of small research teams, supervising and taking responsibility for the research team;
- You will be engaged in cutting edge applied data science research;
- You will publish research papers in peer-reviewed journals;
- You will attend and present research at international conferences;
- You will promote the Group, the Department and the College and help increase their reputation;
- You will develop contacts and research collaborations within the College and the wider community;
- You will supervise postdoctoral researchers, postgraduate students and undergraduate research projects;
- You will assist in the teaching at all levels including UG, BSc, PhD;
- You will be committed to personal development in order to succeed in career progression.
We are looking for researchers at any stage of their career who have:
- A very good academic track record including a first or upper second class degree and a PhD in in computer science or a closely related discipline, or equivalent research, industrial or commercial experience;
- Demonstrated an excellent start to their research careers, in either research or industry background;
- Excellent oral and written communication skills;
- Publications in high quality journals;
- Presented work at significant conferences;
- The ability to demonstrate a clear research vision;
- Strong leadership and management skills;
- A commitment to personal development;
- An ability to extract, transform and load (ETL) data, conduct statistical analyses and make data-sets available in the form that internal or external stakeholder groups require;
- Knowledge of modern statistical programming languages;
- Knowledge of modern programming languages;
- Knowledge of the financial services sector.
Support provided We will provide mentorship from world-leading academics to enable you to reach your full potential. We also offer a very supportive environment for you to develop your research career, with full access to training courses and staff support within the College, including the award winning Postdoc and Fellows Development Centre and the Learning and Development Centre. You will be entitled to 10 days learning and development per year and will have access to a range of courses and workshops, as well as support for developing your fellowship application(s) and mock interviews.
Please apply via our website www.imperial.ac.uk/jobs searching for job number ENG00796.
Should you require any further details on the role please contact: Fay Miller, DSI Research Group Administrator: firstname.lastname@example.org
For technical issues when applying online please email email@example.com
The College is a proud signatory to the San-Francisco Declaration on Research Assessment (DORA), which means that in hiring and promotion decisions, we evaluate applicants on the quality of their work, not the journal impact factor where it is published. For more information, see https://www.imperial.ac.uk/research-and-innovation/about-imperial-research/research-evaluation/
The College believes that the use of animals in research is vital to improve human and animal health and welfare. Animals may only be used in research programmes where their use is shown to be necessary for developing new treatments and making medical advances. Imperial is committed to ensuring that, in cases where this research is deemed essential, all animals in the College’s care are treated with full respect, and that all staff involved with this work show due consideration at every level. http://www.imperial.ac.uk/research-and-innovation/about-imperial-research/research-integrity/animal-research/
About Imperial College London
Imperial College London is the UK’s only university focussed entirely on science, engineering, medicine and business and we are consistently rated in the top 10 universities in the world.
You will find our main London campus in South Kensington, with our hospital campuses located nearby in West and North London. We also have Silwood Park in Berkshire and state-of-the-art facilities in development at our major new campus in White City.
We work in a multidisciplinary and diverse community for education, research, translation and commercialisation, harnessing science and innovation to tackle the big global challenges our complex world faces.
It’s our mission to achieve enduring excellence in all that we do for the benefit of society – and we are looking for the most talented people to help us get there.
Please note that job descriptions cannot be exhaustive and the post-holder may be required to undertake other duties, which are broadly in line with the above key responsibilities.
All Imperial employees are expected to follow the 7 principles of Imperial Expectations:
- Champion a positive approach to change and opportunity
- Communicate regularly and effectively within, and across, teams
- Consider the thoughts and expectations of others
- Deliver positive outcomes
- Encourage inclusive participation and eliminate discrimination
- Develop and grow skills and expertise
- Work in a planned and managed way
In addition to the above, employees are required to observe and comply with all College policies and regulations.
Imperial College is committed to equality of opportunity, to eliminating discrimination and to creating an inclusive working environment. We are an Athena SWAN Silver award winner, a Stonewall Diversity Champion, a Disability Confident Employer and work in partnership with GIRES to promote respect for trans people.
Athena SWAN Silver Award 2016
We renewed our Silver in the April 2016 submission round. Recognising advancement of gender equality.
Disability Confident employer
Imperial is a Disability Confident employer