Applications are invited for a Research Associate position on Building Systems for Privacy-Preserving Data Analytics, Machine Learning, and behavioural interaction systems, as part of the newly funded £20M new Care Research & Technology Centre at Imperial College. https://www.imperial.ac.uk/news/190934/20m-centre-enable-people-with-dementia/
Job listing information
- Reference ENG00832
- Date posted 29 May 2019
- Closing date 26 June 2019
Applications are invited for a Research Associate position on Building Systems for Privacy-Preserving Data Analytics, Machine Learning, and behavioural interaction systems, as part of the newly funded £20M new Care Research & Technology Centre at Imperial College.
Duties and responsibilities
The activities associated with this post are to:
• Design and building efficient and scalable IoT data collection and analysis systems in collaboration with the UK DRI team
• Design and conduct experiments mechanisms for understanding patient requirements and determining the data flow between the smartphone, IoT devices, and Databox application
• Engage with the other team members in design and conduct of experiments assessing the interaction of users with the apps and data visualisations
• Work on a team including the PI, CoIs, and other PDRAs to design the Healthy Home prototype;
• Engage with the Databox open-source community for app development;
• Publish original research on HCI, HDI, privacy, ML, Systems, and Medical findings in relevant journals and conferences;
• Explore broader applications of the research to other domains including systems, machine learning, privacy, and security, health
• Assist with impact and public engagement activities involving industry, students, open-source community.
• Have a PhD or DMA equivalent degree in one of the following: Computer Science, Electronic Engineering, Mathematics, Health Informatics
• Appropriate publication and coding experience
• Understanding of the research process
• Knowledge of programming, system or development, data mining
• Knowledge of statistical analysis methods and/or experience with relevant statistical software
• Practical experience within a research environment and / or publication in relevant and refereed journals
This is a 36 month post with the possibility of extension.
*Candidates who have not yet been officially awarded their PhD will be appointed as Research Assistant within the salary range £34,397- £37,487 per annum.
For informal enquiries about the post please contact Dr Hamed Haddadi – firstname.lastname@example.org
Further information about the post is available in the job description.
Any queries regarding the application process should be directed to Sarah Wissing at email@example.com
For technical issues when applying online please email firstname.lastname@example.org
Committed to equality and valuing diversity, we are an Athena SWAN Silver Award winner, a Stonewall Diversity Champion, a Disability Confident Employer and work in partnership with GIRES to promote respect for trans people.
The College is a proud signatory to the San-Francisco Declaration on Research Assessment (DORA), which means that in hiring and promotion decisions, we evaluate applicants on the quality of their work, not the journal impact factor where it is published. For more information, see https://www.imperial.ac.uk/research-and-innovation/about-imperial-research/research-evaluation/
The College believes that the use of animals in research is vital to improve human and animal health and welfare. Animals may only be used in research programmes where their use is shown to be necessary for developing new treatments and making medical advances. Imperial is committed to ensuring that, in cases where this research is deemed essential, all animals in the College’s care are treated with full respect, and that all staff involved with this work show due consideration at every level. http://www.imperial.ac.uk/research-and-innovation/about-imperial-research/research-integrity/animal-research/
About Imperial College London
Imperial College London is the UK’s only university focussed entirely on science, engineering, medicine and business and we are consistently rated in the top 10 universities in the world.
You will find our main London campus in South Kensington, with our hospital campuses located nearby in West and North London. We also have Silwood Park in Berkshire and state-of-the-art facilities in development at our major new campus in White City.
We work in a multidisciplinary and diverse community for education, research, translation and commercialisation, harnessing science and innovation to tackle the big global challenges our complex world faces.
It’s our mission to achieve enduring excellence in all that we do for the benefit of society – and we are looking for the most talented people to help us get there.
Please note that job descriptions cannot be exhaustive and the post-holder may be required to undertake other duties, which are broadly in line with the above key responsibilities.
All Imperial employees are expected to follow the 7 principles of Imperial Expectations:
- Champion a positive approach to change and opportunity
- Communicate regularly and effectively within, and across, teams
- Consider the thoughts and expectations of others
- Deliver positive outcomes
- Encourage inclusive participation and eliminate discrimination
- Develop and grow skills and expertise
- Work in a planned and managed way
In addition to the above, employees are required to observe and comply with all College policies and regulations.
Imperial College is committed to equality of opportunity, to eliminating discrimination and to creating an inclusive working environment. We are an Athena SWAN Silver award winner, a Stonewall Diversity Champion, a Disability Confident Employer and work in partnership with GIRES to promote respect for trans people.
Athena SWAN Silver Award 2016
We renewed our Silver in the April 2016 submission round. Recognising advancement of gender equality.
Disability Confident employer
Imperial is a Disability Confident employer