Chairs (Professors) at the Dyson School of Design Engineering (Two positions)
The Dyson School of Design Engineering is the 10th and newest engineering department at Imperial College London. It was founded in 2014 and was partly funded through a generous donation from the James Dyson Foundation. Our goal is to fuse together design thinking with rigorous engineering analysis and synthesis, to foster a culture of innovation and enterprise, to help solve global challenges with a strong emphasis on demonstrable societal...
Job listing information
- Reference ENG01701
- Date posted 13 May 2021
- Closing date 17 June 2021
The Dyson School of Design Engineering is the 10th and newest engineering department at Imperial College London. It was founded in 2014 and was partly funded through a generous donation from the James Dyson Foundation. Our goal is to fuse together design thinking with rigorous engineering analysis and synthesis, to foster a culture of innovation and enterprise, to help solve global challenges with a strong emphasis on demonstrable societal impact (such as sustainability, health, reimagined urban mobility, and ageing).
We are seeking to appoint two Faculty staff at professorial level to conduct high impact research and to deliver an outstanding teaching and student experience in the area of Design Engineering, defined broadly, and to play a significant leadership role in both the School and the Faculty. We invite applications from candidates across all areas of design and engineering including, but not limited to, the following:
- Human factors and human-centric design;
- Design for sustainability and circular economy;
- Design theory and methodology;
- Smart devices;
- Distributed ledger technology and shared economy;
- Sustainable and efficient manufacturing;
- Ethical design and design psychology.
As Professor, you will be able to demonstrate not only an outstanding and world leading international track record, but also the ability, curiosity, and strategic vision, necessary to develop the new research directions and partnerships that will help further establish the School as a global leader. In addition to outstanding records of accomplishment in areas pertaining to Design Engineering, you will be expected to complement and strengthen existing research and teaching activities in the School, and be able to innovate and deliver very high quality research-informed teaching at doctoral level. You are also expected to develop into leading figures within the UK’s Design and Engineering communities and beyond, building up and sustaining internationally important research teams, and interacting with industrial partners and other disciplinary areas within and outside the university.
Duties and responsibilities
- Provide academic leadership in the areas of Design and Engineering within the School, and to play a leading role in this area within the Faculty, and across Imperial College.
- Contribute to the teaching, project supervision, and administration of the undergraduate and postgraduate degrees in the Dyson School of Design Engineering.
- Enhance the research profile of the School by maintaining an output of publications and presentations that are of world-class quality.
- Sustain high-quality research activity through a portfolio of individual, joint and/or network research projects.
- Engage actively and regularly in the pursuit of research funding through grant applications to Research Councils, etc, and to assist other academic staff in the development of research proposals.
- To teach and examine courses at all levels – undergraduate, masters and higher research degrees – through lectures, seminars, tutorials, course work and personal supervision.
- A PhD in Design Engineering or related field (or equivalent).
- An outstanding international reputation and expertise in the Design Engineering or related field.
- A sustained track record in attracting high levels of research funding.
- Extensive experience in leading and conducting impactful research.
- An excellent record of research, evidenced by a portfolio of research publications and international standing.
- Experience of training undergraduate and postgraduate students.
- Experience of supervision of PhD students and post-doctoral researchers.
- Experience of interacting, communicating, and consulting effectively with a wide range of people and across different backgrounds, cultures and experiences.
For an informal discussion about the post with Professor Peter Cheung, Head of Dyson School of Design Engineering, please contact Ms Sarah Wissing. Email: firstname.lastname@example.org.
For further information on the recruitment process, please contact: Maria Monteiro, Senior Appointments and Welcome Service Manager, Email: email@example.com.
The College is a proud signatory to the San-Francisco Declaration on Research Assessment (DORA), which means that in hiring and promotion decisions, we evaluate applicants on the quality of their work, not the journal impact factor where it is published. For more information, see www.imperial.ac.uk/research-and-innovation/about-imperial-research/research-evaluation/
The College believes that the use of animals in research is vital to improve human and animal health and welfare. Animals may only be used in research programmes where their use is shown to be necessary for developing new treatments and making medical advances. Imperial is committed to ensuring that, in cases where this research is deemed essential, all animals in the College’s care are treated with full respect, and that all staff involved with this work show due consideration at every level. www.imperial.ac.uk/research-and-innovation/about-imperial-research/research-integrity/animal-research
About Imperial College London
Imperial College London is the UK’s only university focussed entirely on science, engineering, medicine and business and we are consistently rated in the top 10 universities in the world.
You will find our main London campus in South Kensington, with our hospital campuses located nearby in West and North London. We also have Silwood Park in Berkshire and state-of-the-art facilities in development at our major new campus in White City.
We work in a multidisciplinary and diverse community for education, research, translation and commercialisation, harnessing science and innovation to tackle the big global challenges our complex world faces.
It’s our mission to achieve enduring excellence in all that we do for the benefit of society – and we are looking for the most talented people to help us get there.
Please note that job descriptions cannot be exhaustive and the post-holder may be required to undertake other duties, which are broadly in line with the above key responsibilities.
All Imperial employees are expected to follow the 7 principles of Imperial Expectations:
- Champion a positive approach to change and opportunity
- Communicate regularly and effectively within, and across, teams
- Consider the thoughts and expectations of others
- Deliver positive outcomes
- Encourage inclusive participation and eliminate discrimination
- Develop and grow skills and expertise
- Work in a planned and managed way
In addition to the above, employees are required to observe and comply with all College policies and regulations.
We are committed to equality of opportunity, to eliminating discrimination and to creating an inclusive working environment for all. We therefore encourage candidates to apply irrespective of age, disability, marriage or civil partnership status, pregnancy or maternity, race, religion and belief, gender identity, sex, or sexual orientation. We are an Athena SWAN Silver Award winner, a Disability Confident Leader and a Stonewall Diversity Champion.
For technical issues when applying online please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Top 10 Employer for Working Families
Top 10 employer for working families
Athena SWAN Silver Award 2016
We renewed our Silver in the April 2016 submission round. Recognising advancement of gender equality.
Disability Confident leader
Imperial is a Disability Confident leader
Imperial is working in partnership with GIRES to promote respect and provide equal treatment for trans people