Department Administrative Assistant
The post holder will be a key contributor to the efficient administration and day-to-day running of the Department of Materials supporting the purchasing, finance and recruitment processes. The post holder will provide excellent customer service and work closely with the Department Resource Manager to ensure ongoing excellence in finance, staffing and purchasing management of the department. To work within established processes and...
Job listing information
- Reference ENG01963
- Date posted 6 December 2021
- Closing date 17 January 2022
The post holder will be a key contributor to the efficient administration and day-to-day running of the Department of Materials supporting the purchasing, finance and recruitment processes. The post holder will provide excellent customer service and work closely with the Department Resource Manager to ensure ongoing excellence in finance, staffing and purchasing management of the department.
To work within established processes and procedures, with minimum day to day supervision but clear guidance, to provide a range of support services to an agreed quality standard and specification. The role requires a working knowledge of the system/process/operating environment, and have specific responsibility for a clearly defined section of work in the Department of Materials. Independence and initiative in the arrangement of immediate work priorities will be required to react to changing priorities.
Duties and responsibilities
Key Responsibilities include:
- Act as a focal point for general enquiries, both in person and on the telephone for students and staff.
- Act as a point of contact for staff, and other internal and external visitors to request administrative tasks to be completed
- Plan and prioritise own work activities, and where necessary balance these with new requirements of the team
- Responsible for delivering a range of administrative and customer services in support of existing systems and processes to an agreed quality standard and specification
- Responsible for raising Purchase Orders and Virtual Credit Cards and sending DHL packages and other finance documents on the Imperial College systems
- Dealing with all purchasing queries and being the first point of contact for issues ensuring they are escalated and resolved in as timely a manner as possible.
- Processing and authorising finance paperwork including expense claim forms, invoices and other payment forms as required.
- Responsible for placing job descriptions and adverts, after checking documents on Talentlink (college recruitment online tool) as well as arranging to place ads on jobs.ac.uk
- Using Talentlink, responsible for circulating short lists to recruiting manager after the closing dates
- Managing the interview process for the new posts in the department.
- Responsible for welcoming applicants for interviews and processing recruitment documents.
- Managing interview rooms, ordering refreshments, arranging AV equipment and managing Skype interviews
Candidates/post holders will be expected to demonstrate the following:
- Educated to A level standard (or equivalent) and have relevant experience in a similar role
- A clear understanding of the need for and practice of customer focus and customer relations skills
- Proven experience of working in a busy administrative office
- Competent approach to an understanding of using various established tools and online system to ensure accuracy of the output
- Organise and prioritise own work activities within established routines or procedures and subject to minimal supervision, to support the achievement of department’s work
- Keep skills up-to-date and develop abilities and competence through learning from more appropriate training and exposure to a range of activities
- Deliver a range of administrative and/or customer services in support of existing systems or processes to an agreed quality standard and specification
- Proven experience of managing and completing multiple tasks alongside each other
Informal enquires may be directed to Mrs Darakshan Khan, Department Resources Manager in the Department of Materials, (email@example.com).
This is an re-advertisement, please do not apply for this post if you have applied previously.
Interviews will be held on Monday 7th February 2022.
About Imperial College London
Imperial College London is the UK’s only university focussed entirely on science, engineering, medicine and business and we are consistently rated in the top 10 universities in the world.
You will find our main London campus in South Kensington, with our hospital campuses located nearby in West and North London. We also have Silwood Park in Berkshire and state-of-the-art facilities in development at our major new campus in White City.
We work in a multidisciplinary and diverse community for education, research, translation and commercialisation, harnessing science and innovation to tackle the big global challenges our complex world faces.
It’s our mission to achieve enduring excellence in all that we do for the benefit of society – and we are looking for the most talented people to help us get there.
Please note that job descriptions cannot be exhaustive, and the post-holder may be required to undertake other duties, which are broadly in line with the above key responsibilities.
Imperial College is committed to equality of opportunity and to eliminating discrimination. All employees are expected to follow the Imperial Values & Behaviours framework. Our values are:
In addition to the above, employees are required to observe and comply with all College policies and regulations.
We are committed to equality of opportunity, to eliminating discrimination and to creating an inclusive working environment for all. We therefore encourage candidates to apply irrespective of age, disability, marriage or civil partnership status, pregnancy or maternity, race, religion and belief, gender identity, sex, or sexual orientation. We are an Athena SWAN Silver Award winner, a Disability Confident Leader and a Stonewall Diversity Champion.
For technical issues when applying online please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Top 10 Employer for Working Families
Top 10 employer for working families
Race Equality Charter Bronze Award
Race Equality Charter Bronze Award
Athena SWAN Silver Award 2016
We renewed our Silver in the April 2016 submission round. Recognising advancement of gender equality.
Disability Confident leader
Imperial is a Disability Confident leader
Imperial is working in partnership with GIRES to promote respect and provide equal treatment for trans people