Translational Research Manager
As Translational Research Manager the post holder will work with Professor Molly Stevens and the members of her team for coordinating the research translation process and the advancement of the group’s technologies through to market adoption. The post holder will be expected to acquire and develop strong expertise and knowledge across a range of scientific areas around biomaterials and bioengineering. They will be expected to understand...
Job listing information
- Reference ENG02165
- Date posted 24 May 2022
- Closing date 24 June 2022
As Translational Research Manager the post holder will work with Professor Molly Stevens and the members of her team for coordinating the research translation process and the advancement of the group’s technologies through to market adoption. The post holder will be expected to acquire and develop strong expertise and knowledge across a range of scientific areas around biomaterials and bioengineering. They will be expected to understand the science behind the research and development strategy. The post holder will be a confident self-starter and collaborative member of the team and will display impeccable work ethics.
Duties and responsibilities
- Gain and maintain an overview of the Stevens’ group scientific capabilities and portfolio.
- Establish an effective team workflow to research, collate, organise, and edit material for inclusion in grant and patent applications and reports.
- Organise and lead in initial meetings and calls to engage with internal College teams and with potential stakeholders in industry, funding agencies and start-ups.
- Efficiently manage all parties involved in the process of patent drafting.
- Liaise and communicate with key stakeholders, including principal investigators, researchers, funding agencies, academic and industrial collaborators, and College management teams, to ensure that high quality documents are submitted within agreed deadlines.
- Provide regular reporting to Prof Stevens to inform the IP and funding strategy based on a thorough analysis of the funding landscape and developments in the field of bioengineering and materials for healthcare applications.
- Address issues related to the IP protection process independently and use criteria to escalate to senior staff in a timely manner.
- Provide input on financial aspects of IP protection and industry-funded research.
- Help the Stevens group staff in the daily management of the research support activities.
- Attend progress and management meetings as required and network with the other research groups.
- Develop any required skills and knowledge.
- Develop contacts and research collaborations within the College and the wider community.
- Promote the reputation of the Group, the Departments and the College.
Candidates/post holders will be expected to demonstrate the following:
- A first degree (or equivalent) or a masters (or equivalent) in materials science, chemistry, biochemistry, biomedical engineering, or similar.
- A PhD (or equivalent) in materials science, chemistry, biochemistry, biomedical engineering, or similar.
- Experience working in a multidisciplinary team in the HE sector, or other, demonstrating development through involvement in progressively more demanding roles.
- Proven management experience, with the ability to motivate and develop members of their team.
- Experience at contributing at senior level within organisations.
- Experience presenting key issues to senior managers and academic staff.
- Significant experience writing scientific texts e.g. grant proposals, reports and patents.
- Experience communicating scientific concepts to a range of academia, industry and general audiences.
- Knowledge of the research funding landscape for science and engineering in the UK.
- Knowledge of translational pipeline within the bioengineering field.
- Ability to grasp complex scientific concepts and communicate them in writing in coherent and effective ways.
- Outstanding command of the English language (written and spoken).
- Fine eye for detail to proofread and edit written materials to a very high standard.
- Excellent computer skills including knowledge of cloud networks, shared/versioned documents and remote meetings software, in addition to high proficiency in the MS Office suite.
- Demonstrated ability to work in a collaborative environment.
- Excellent time management skills and ability to organise, prioritise and focus to deliver high quality results under strict deadlines.
- A creative approach to problem-solving.
- Experience in project management.
Should you require any further details on the role please contact: Prof Molly Stevens email@example.com
Further guidance may be sought from Mrs Darakshan Khan (firstname.lastname@example.org).
For technical issues, please contact: email@example.com
Imperial College is committed to equality of opportunity, to eliminating discrimination and to creating an inclusive working environment. We are an Athena SWAN Silver award winner, a Stonewall Diversity Champion, a Disability Confident Employer and work in partnership with GIRES to promote respect for trans people.
About Imperial College London
Imperial College London is the UK’s only university focussed entirely on science, engineering, medicine and business and we are consistently rated in the top 10 universities in the world.
You will find our main London campus in South Kensington, with our hospital campuses located nearby in West and North London. We also have Silwood Park in Berkshire and state-of-the-art facilities in development at our major new campus in White City.
We work in a multidisciplinary and diverse community for education, research, translation and commercialisation, harnessing science and innovation to tackle the big global challenges our complex world faces.
It’s our mission to achieve enduring excellence in all that we do for the benefit of society – and we are looking for the most talented people to help us get there.
Please note that job descriptions cannot be exhaustive, and the post-holder may be required to undertake other duties, which are broadly in line with the above key responsibilities.
Imperial College is committed to equality of opportunity and to eliminating discrimination. All employees are expected to follow the Imperial Values & Behaviours framework. Our values are:
In addition to the above, employees are required to observe and comply with all College policies and regulations.
We are committed to equality of opportunity, to eliminating discrimination and to creating an inclusive working environment for all. We therefore encourage candidates to apply irrespective of age, disability, marriage or civil partnership status, pregnancy or maternity, race, religion and belief, gender identity, sex, or sexual orientation. We are an Athena SWAN Silver Award winner, a Disability Confident Leader and a Stonewall Diversity Champion.
For technical issues when applying online please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Top 10 Employer for Working Families
Top 10 employer for working families
Race Equality Charter Bronze Award
Race Equality Charter Bronze Award
Athena SWAN Silver Award 2016
We renewed our Silver in the April 2016 submission round. Recognising advancement of gender equality.
Disability Confident leader
Imperial is a Disability Confident leader
Imperial is working in partnership with GIRES to promote respect and provide equal treatment for trans people