Lecturer/Senior Lecturer at Dyson School of Design Engineering
The Dyson School of Design Engineering is the 10th and newest engineering department at Imperial College London. It was founded in 2014 and was partly funded through a generous donation from the James Dyson Foundation. Our goal is to fuse together design thinking with rigorous engineering analysis and synthesis, to foster a culture of innovation and enterprise, to help solve global problems with emphasis on people, sustainability,...
Job listing information
- Reference ENG02282
- Date posted 13 September 2022
- Closing date 14 October 2022
The Dyson School of Design Engineering is the 10th and newest engineering department at Imperial College London. It was founded in 2014 and was partly funded through a generous donation from the James Dyson Foundation. Our goal is to fuse together design thinking with rigorous engineering analysis and synthesis, to foster a culture of innovation and enterprise, to help solve global problems with emphasis on people, sustainability, entrepreneurship, and societal impact.
We are seeking to appoint two Faculty staff at Lecturer/Senior Lecturer (Assistant/Associate Professor equivalent) level to conduct high impact research and to deliver an outstanding teaching and student experience in areas applicable to Design Engineering, defined broadly, and to play a significant leadership role in both the School and the Faculty. We invite applications from candidates across all areas of design and engineering including, but not limited to, the following areas:
- Human factors and human-centric design;
- Design for sustainability;
- Smart devices and robotics;
- Distributed ledger technology and shared economy;
- Sustainable and efficient manufacturing;
- Ethical design and design psychology;
- Augmented and virtual reality;
- Design theory and methodology;
- Enterprise, policy and innovation.
As Lecturer or Senior Lecturer, you are expected to have established an excellent track record in impactful research. You are expected to demonstrate the ability, curiosity, and strategic vision necessary to develop new research directions and partnerships that will help further establish the School as a global leader. You will be expected to innovate and deliver high-quality research-led teaching at undergraduate and postgraduate levels. You will also be expected to engage with the UK’s Design and Engineering communities and beyond, building and sustaining internationally important research and interacting with industrial partners and other disciplinary areas within and outside of the university.
Duties and responsibilities
- To actively develop and lead your own research programme within the Dyson School of Design Engineering.
- To undertake high quality research and publish in top quality journals/conferences in your field commensurate with your level of appointment.
- To be active in the pursuit of external funding to support your research.
- To enhance the reputation of the School in your external engagements.
- To collaborate with colleagues in research within and outside of the School.
- To contribute to the School’s teaching at undergraduate and postgraduate levels.
- To undertake the supervision of undergraduate and MSc projects.
- To make contributions, as appropriate, to the development of new teaching materials at all levels.
- To make a collegial contribution to the day-to-day running of the School when required.
- To take on School-wide administrative role(s) commensurate with level of appointment.
- To attend School-wide meetings and to contribute to student recruitment activities.
- To promote equality, diversity and inclusion.
- To undertake other duties appropriate to the grade as specified by Head of School.
- A PhD (or equivalent) in field related to Design Engineering.
- An excellent track record in research demonstrated through strong publications and impact.
- A track record, or demonstrated potential, in attracting external research funding.
- Experience in high-quality teaching at university level.
- Experience in interacting, communicating, and consulting effectively with a wide range of people and across different backgrounds, cultures and experiences.
Please apply online, uploading any relevant supporting documents such as a cover letter and a full CV, which should include:
- degrees (including subject, universities and dates);
- past and present employment;
- list of publications;
- brief description of current and future research plans;
- teaching statement and evidence of quality of teaching (e.g., student evaluations);
- information on research grants and contracts which have been funded, RA/student supervision, etc;
- information regarding public engagement undertaken related to the applicant’s research activities.
All candidates will be contacted after the shortlisting is completed.
For an informal discussion about the post, please contact Professor Peter Cheung, Head of Dyson School of Design Engineering.
For further information on the recruitment process, please contact: Dr David Boyle: email@example.com
Applications Closing Date: 14th October 2022
Interview date: TBC
Interview format: in person, unless there are strong reasons not to.
Start date: from 1st January 2023 onwards, but not later than 1st September 2023 for the start of the new academic year.
About Imperial College London
Imperial College London is the UK’s only university focussed entirely on science, engineering, medicine and business and we are consistently rated in the top 10 universities in the world.
You will find our main London campus in South Kensington, with our hospital campuses located nearby in West and North London. We also have Silwood Park in Berkshire and state-of-the-art facilities in development at our major new campus in White City.
We work in a multidisciplinary and diverse community for education, research, translation and commercialisation, harnessing science and innovation to tackle the big global challenges our complex world faces.
It’s our mission to achieve enduring excellence in all that we do for the benefit of society – and we are looking for the most talented people to help us get there.
Please note that job descriptions cannot be exhaustive, and the post-holder may be required to undertake other duties, which are broadly in line with the above key responsibilities.
Imperial College is committed to equality of opportunity and to eliminating discrimination. All employees are expected to follow the Imperial Values & Behaviours framework. Our values are:
In addition to the above, employees are required to observe and comply with all College policies and regulations.
We are committed to equality of opportunity, to eliminating discrimination and to creating an inclusive working environment for all. We therefore encourage candidates to apply irrespective of age, disability, marriage or civil partnership status, pregnancy or maternity, race, religion and belief, gender reassignment, sex, or sexual orientation. We are an Athena SWAN Silver Award winner, a Disability Confident Leader and a Stonewall Diversity Champion.
For technical issues when applying online please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Top 10 Employer for Working Families
Top 10 employer for working families
Race Equality Charter Bronze Award
Race Equality Charter Bronze Award
Athena SWAN Silver Award 2016
We renewed our Silver in the April 2016 submission round. Recognising advancement of gender equality.
Disability Confident leader
Imperial is a Disability Confident leader
Imperial is working in partnership with GIRES to promote respect and provide equal treatment for trans people