Research Software Engineer
We are recruiting an enthusiastic developer to join Imperial College’s Research Computing Service (RCS) as a Research Software Engineer (RSE). Working with experienced members of the RSE team you will collaborate with experts across Imperial, applying software engineering, distributed computing and data science to research in science, engineering and medicine. Your contributions will enable world-leading academics to accelerate their...
Job listing information
- Reference FOG00356
- Date posted 18 November 2019
- Closing date 1 December 2019
We are recruiting an enthusiastic developer to join Imperial College’s Research Computing Service (RCS) as a Research Software Engineer (RSE). Working with experienced members of the RSE team you will collaborate with experts across Imperial, applying software engineering, distributed computing and data science to research in science, engineering and medicine. Your contributions will enable world-leading academics to accelerate their research by increasing the quality and quantity of their outputs.
You will need a strong interest in software engineering best-practice and working knowledge of at least one relevant language and be dedicated to the success of the RCS by producing high quality and reliable software. You will be provided with a friendly, supportive working environment and have access to all the opportunities for personal development and other employee benefits provided by the College.
Our recent projects range from genomics to sustainable energy systems and planetary impact simulation and have employed a broad range of development tools and programming languages. In addition to working on such projects you will also be responsible for promoting excellence in software engineering at Imperial. This will involve demonstrating and advocating best practices by writing exemplar code and documentation, developing and delivering training material, and performing outreach activities inside and outside the College.
This is a great opportunity to join a dedicated team addressing meaningful challenges at a highly respected organisation. You will be working with world-leading researchers on diverse projects across many scientific disciplines, employing technology to develop innovative solutions. Experience of working in research would be beneficial but is not required – this is a non-academic role and we welcome applicants regardless of background.
Duties and responsibilities
- Liaising closely with researchers to understand their research and software requirements
- Contributing to the design, development and maintenance of research software
- Developing and delivering training and resources to improve the quality of software produced at Imperial College
- Promoting the activities of the RSE team where appropriate, including publishing code, contributing to journal articles and giving presentations
- Participating in activities within the RSE community at Imperial College and beyond
- Undergraduate degree in a relevant subject, or equivalent professional experience
- Experience of analysing, researching and solving complex programming problems
- Full-cycle software development including design, implementation and deployment
- Significant involvement in a least one substantial software project implemented using relevant technologies
- Demonstrable knowledge of one or more languages commonly used for research computing: Python (incl. numpy, pandas, scipy etc) and C++, Fortran, R or MATLAB
- Experience using Unix-based operating systems, tools and utilities
- Knowledge of best-practice techniques for software development including automated testing, build automation and continuous deployment, and the use of containers
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills including the ability to effectively present complex or technical information to a range of audiences
- Ability to work proactively and autonomously but with a willingness to seek advice where necessary regarding software design and implementation
- Rigorous time management and prioritisation skills
- Enthusiasm to undertake formal and self-directed training and learn/adopt new procedures as required
- Intellectual flexibility and a curiosity in unfamiliar disciplines
- Ability to assimilate technical information, understand complex requirements, and keep up-to-date and learn about new developments in computational research
- Enjoy working collaboratively and engaging in knowledge transfer
- Serious commitment to software quality and a very strong attention to detail
- This is full-time, on-site, permanent role
- Candidates for this role will need to complete an online application and a pre-interview coding task. Please include a link to your GitHub profile (or equivalent) when submitting your application.
- You will receive a generous annual leave entitlement of 25 days plus bank holidays and additional paid College closure dates over Christmas and Easter
- You will have access to excellent occupational pension benefits
- We offer a wide range of opportunities for professional development, including skills and career development training, targeted talent development programmes for professional staff, coaching and one to one support. If you seek opportunities to progress and develop your career, we will support you in your endeavours.
- For more information on the benefits of working for Imperial College please see the relevant page on our website
This role presents a great opportunity to employ novel technology in supporting research at a world-leading organisation. You can learn more about our activities by following us @ImperialRSE.
Should you have any queries about the post please contact Mark Woodbridge firstname.lastname@example.org, Research Software Engineering Team Lead
For technical issues when applying online please email email@example.com
The College cannot normally apply for a Certificate of Sponsorship for this post under Tier 2 of the UKVI’s Points Based System. Any candidate, who is considering applying for this position and requires sponsorship, must ensure that they are able to obtain permission to work in the UK through an appropriate immigration route.
Closing date: 1 December 2019
About Imperial College London
Imperial College London is the UK’s only university focussed entirely on science, engineering, medicine and business and we are consistently rated in the top 10 universities in the world.
You will find our main London campus in South Kensington, with our hospital campuses located nearby in West and North London. We also have Silwood Park in Berkshire and state-of-the-art facilities in development at our major new campus in White City.
We work in a multidisciplinary and diverse community for education, research, translation and commercialisation, harnessing science and innovation to tackle the big global challenges our complex world faces.
It’s our mission to achieve enduring excellence in all that we do for the benefit of society – and we are looking for the most talented people to help us get there.
Please note that job descriptions cannot be exhaustive and the post-holder may be required to undertake other duties, which are broadly in line with the above key responsibilities.
All Imperial employees are expected to follow the 7 principles of Imperial Expectations:
- Champion a positive approach to change and opportunity
- Communicate regularly and effectively within, and across, teams
- Consider the thoughts and expectations of others
- Deliver positive outcomes
- Encourage inclusive participation and eliminate discrimination
- Develop and grow skills and expertise
- Work in a planned and managed way
In addition to the above, employees are required to observe and comply with all College policies and regulations.
Imperial College is committed to equality of opportunity, to eliminating discrimination and to creating an inclusive working environment. We are an Athena SWAN Silver award winner, a Stonewall Diversity Champion, a Disability Confident Employer and work in partnership with GIRES to promote respect for trans people.
Athena SWAN Silver Award 2016
We renewed our Silver in the April 2016 submission round. Recognising advancement of gender equality.
Disability Confident leader
Imperial is a Disability Confident leader
Imperial is working in partnership with GIRES to promote respect and provide equal treatment for trans people