Head of Technology Office
Reporting to the CIO, this hire will have a proven background and successful experience as a CTO (or equivalent), which will help them to define, own and manage the realisation of ICT’s Strategy. You’ll be responsible for leading the definition of the technology blueprints, roadmaps and strategy require to deliver ICT’s and the wider College’s outcomes. Furthermore, your role will be to ensure that ICT’s customers have an evolving...
Job listing information
- Reference FOG00399
- Date posted 29 July 2020
- Closing date 12 August 2020
Reporting to the CIO, this hire will have a proven background and successful experience as a CTO (or equivalent), which will help them to define, own and manage the realisation of ICT’s Strategy. You’ll be responsible for leading the definition of the technology blueprints, roadmaps and strategy require to deliver ICT’s and the wider College’s outcomes.
Furthermore, your role will be to ensure that ICT’s customers have an evolving technology capability that meets their current and future needs, alongside ensuring that the services are aligned and supported with the College’s overall business strategy.
Duties and responsibilities
- Operate as and is recognised as strategic technology leader within the College, providing thought leadership at executive and senior levels across the College, within the Higher Education sector and vendors.
- Sets the technology direction for IT Services in collaboration with Products, Shared Services, and Infrastructure Technology.
- Ensures that ICT has awareness of and is developing the right capabilities to work with the latest technologies, including technologies that accelerate ICT services, e.g. SAAS, Cloud Computing, Big Data, Automation, Integration.
- Develop technical aspects of ICT’s strategy to ensure alignment with its business goals and discover and implement new technologies that yield competitive advantage.
- Creates and manages the Technology Office to develop and grow the skills in line with technology strategy of ICT.
- Responsible for managing and reporting on the Technology Office budget of up to £15m.
- Is an active and critical member of the newly created ICT Senior Management Team.
- Helps create and drive the strategy to deliver a world class performing ICT function.
- Responsible for direct line management of approximately 10-20 staff.
- Effective team and resource management to ensure availability, capacity and performance is monitored efficiently, on time and to budget.
Please note: The listed responsibilities are not exhaustive, and the post-holder may be required to undertake other duties.
- Degree educated or equivalent, preferable in a computer technology-related field.
- Proven track record of success in leadership positions for a substantial amount of time.
- Proven experience of selling a strategy technology direction through engagement and collaboration with business stakeholders, other ICT stakeholders and external suppliers.
- Experience of managing and controlling budgets in excess of £20m.
- Experience of managing the transition of ICT Services and Applications from on premise to the Cloud.
- Up to speed with the latest technologies, such as SAAS, Cloud Computing, Big Data, Automation and Integration solutions.
- Experience in discovery and implementation of new technologies that yield competitive advantage.
- Knowledge of current product development practices and methodologies, such as DevOps, Scrum, Kanban and SAFe.
- Excellent interpersonal skills, dealing with fast-moving, complex scenarios supporting multiple initiatives and goals.
- Ability to create a collaborative working environment.
- Received an MBA or equivalent.
- Experience of working in a senior technical leadership role within a higher education establishment.
- Knowledge of the higher education sector and the specific requirements and challenges of delivering ICT services within this sector.
For further information and details on how to apply for this outstanding role, please visit https://www.xpertise-recruitment.com/job/7514/head-of-technology-office-educational-institution-permanent-role-london-london-greater-london/
About Imperial College London
Imperial College London is the UK’s only university focussed entirely on science, engineering, medicine and business and we are consistently rated in the top 10 universities in the world.
You will find our main London campus in South Kensington, with our hospital campuses located nearby in West and North London. We also have Silwood Park in Berkshire and state-of-the-art facilities in development at our major new campus in White City.
We work in a multidisciplinary and diverse community for education, research, translation and commercialisation, harnessing science and innovation to tackle the big global challenges our complex world faces.
It’s our mission to achieve enduring excellence in all that we do for the benefit of society – and we are looking for the most talented people to help us get there.
Please note that job descriptions cannot be exhaustive and the post-holder may be required to undertake other duties, which are broadly in line with the above key responsibilities.
All Imperial employees are expected to follow the 7 principles of Imperial Expectations:
- Champion a positive approach to change and opportunity
- Communicate regularly and effectively within, and across, teams
- Consider the thoughts and expectations of others
- Deliver positive outcomes
- Encourage inclusive participation and eliminate discrimination
- Develop and grow skills and expertise
- Work in a planned and managed way
In addition to the above, employees are required to observe and comply with all College policies and regulations.
Imperial College is committed to equality of opportunity, to eliminating discrimination and to creating an inclusive working environment. We are an Athena SWAN Silver award winner, a Stonewall Diversity Champion, a Disability Confident Employer and work in partnership with GIRES to promote respect for trans people.
Athena SWAN Silver Award 2016
We renewed our Silver in the April 2016 submission round. Recognising advancement of gender equality.
Disability Confident leader
Imperial is a Disability Confident leader
Imperial is working in partnership with GIRES to promote respect and provide equal treatment for trans people