Head of Infrastructure Technology
Reporting directly to the CIO within a Matrix structure, and paying north of £70,000, you will be responsible for a £10m budget to support your modernisation strategy concerning Infrastructure, Data centres, Networks, Security and contributing to the migration to the cloud. This is an exciting opportunity for someone to lead a sizeable team that are assisting with managing, and developing a mature technology stack to increase the efficiency...
Job listing information
- Reference FOG00400
- Date posted 29 July 2020
- Closing date 12 August 2020
Reporting directly to the CIO within a Matrix structure, and paying north of £70,000, you will be responsible for a £10m budget to support your modernisation strategy concerning Infrastructure, Data centres, Networks, Security and contributing to the migration to the cloud. This is an exciting opportunity for someone to lead a sizeable team that are assisting with managing, and developing a mature technology stack to increase the efficiency of their innovative IT operation.
If the idea of working in an agile environment that is product orientated, and user-centric focused, alongside holding a £10m budget to help deliver on a migration to the cloud for a prestigious university, in addition to managing and developing a mature technology stack appeals to you, then please get in contact with me directly.
Line Management responsibility for:
- Digital Workplace Lead
- Networks Lead
- IT Systems Management Tooling Lead
- Data Centre Lead
Purpose of the Post:
Working in collaboration with the Technology Office, the role is responsible for developing and evolving the technology strategy for the function. Drawing upon deep subject matter expertise of infrastructure technologies, including historic hands on expertise. The role is to ensure that infrastructure remains relevant to the College and its priorities.
Infrastructure Technology includes data centre hosted technologies, Digital Workplace technologies covering end user computing services and management capabilities alongside enterprise communications and collaboration technologies, WAN and LAN networks, and tooling for Security and Application & Infrastructure Performance Management. Covering in excess of 50,000 users of services, in excess of 20,000 technology assets and delegated budget responsibility in excess of £10m per annum.
Duties and responsibilities
- Owns, creates and manages the Infrastructure Technology function, ensuring it provides the capabilities and support to deliver to required performance standards, working to the delegated financial budget and ICT governance and business operations processes.
- Owns and develops the strategy and plans for Infrastructure Technology, covering people, process and tooling, working in collaboration with ICT Heads of Functions.
- Operates in the role of technology leader on Infrastructure Technology, keeping up to date with industry trends and drawing upon industry wide experience. Directing and coaching direct reports and the wider team within Infrastructure Technology.
- Builds and maintains strong sets of complex senior stakeholder relationships, through its communications, within the Departments and Faculties across the College, the wider Higher Education sector and the College’s peers, technology industry and media.
- Proven track record of success in senior technical leadership positions within a large organisation and demonstrable experience of major infrastructure change and delivery covering, as a minimum, data centres infrastructure, communications and collaboration, networking, end user computing and tooling
- Degree or equivalent, preferably in computer systems / solutions infrastructure / or technology related innovation or comparable
- Experience of managing teams of at least 30 senior and highly skilled technology individuals, setting clear objectives and deliverables, enabling and reporting on individual achievement of these
- Experience of managing the transition of technology infrastructure from on premise to the cloud and managing hybrid environments during transition
- Practical working knowledge of leading public cloud platforms, examples Azure, AWS and Google Cloud, and software as service platforms
- Knowledge of current product development practises and methodologies, such as DevOps, Scrum, Kanban and SAFe
- Detailed knowledge of a number of technologies, including operating systems (Microsoft and Linux) and associated middleware, networking (IP based) and storage systems
- Experience of working in a senior technical leadership role within a Higher Education establishment
For further information and details on how to apply for this outstanding role, please visit https://www.xpertise-recruitment.com/job/7511/head-of-infrastructure-technology-educational-institute-london-salary-negotiable-bens-london-greater-london/
About Imperial College London
Imperial College London is the UK’s only university focussed entirely on science, engineering, medicine and business and we are consistently rated in the top 10 universities in the world.
You will find our main London campus in South Kensington, with our hospital campuses located nearby in West and North London. We also have Silwood Park in Berkshire and state-of-the-art facilities in development at our major new campus in White City.
We work in a multidisciplinary and diverse community for education, research, translation and commercialisation, harnessing science and innovation to tackle the big global challenges our complex world faces.
It’s our mission to achieve enduring excellence in all that we do for the benefit of society – and we are looking for the most talented people to help us get there.
Please note that job descriptions cannot be exhaustive and the post-holder may be required to undertake other duties, which are broadly in line with the above key responsibilities.
All Imperial employees are expected to follow the 7 principles of Imperial Expectations:
- Champion a positive approach to change and opportunity
- Communicate regularly and effectively within, and across, teams
- Consider the thoughts and expectations of others
- Deliver positive outcomes
- Encourage inclusive participation and eliminate discrimination
- Develop and grow skills and expertise
- Work in a planned and managed way
In addition to the above, employees are required to observe and comply with all College policies and regulations.
Imperial College is committed to equality of opportunity, to eliminating discrimination and to creating an inclusive working environment. We are an Athena SWAN Silver award winner, a Stonewall Diversity Champion, a Disability Confident Employer and work in partnership with GIRES to promote respect for trans people.
Athena SWAN Silver Award 2016
We renewed our Silver in the April 2016 submission round. Recognising advancement of gender equality.
Disability Confident leader
Imperial is a Disability Confident leader
Imperial is working in partnership with GIRES to promote respect and provide equal treatment for trans people