Applications are invited for a Research Assistant/ Associate position within The Phage Therapy group in The Division of Brain Sciences/ Department of Medicine at Imperial College. The Phage Therapy team is led by Dr Amin Hajitou who is a leading authority in phage-targeted gene delivery and cancer therapy with phage viruses. The purpose of the post is the construction and purification of hybrid multifunctional bacteriophage vectors, in...
Job listing information
- Reference MED00903
- Date posted 15 November 2018
- Closing date 16 December 2018
Applications are invited for a Research Assistant/ Associate position within The Phage Therapy group in The Division of Brain Sciences/ Department of Medicine at Imperial College.
The Phage Therapy team is led by Dr Amin Hajitou who is a leading authority in phage-targeted gene delivery and cancer therapy with phage viruses.
The purpose of the post is the construction and purification of hybrid multifunctional bacteriophage vectors, in prokaryotic hosts for transduction of cancer cells in vitro then in vivo in preclinical models of cancer. The phage vectors will carry therapeutic nucleic acids including cytokine sequences.
Duties and responsibilities
- Production and maintenance of prokaryotic host strains for bacteriophage production
- Production and purification of bacteriophage vectors
- Quantification of phage vectors in prokaryotic host via colony counting
- DNA molecular cloning of phage vector constructs
- Mammalian cell phage transduction to assay for GFP, Luciferase and interleukin expression
- In vivo therapy in preclinical cancer models.
- Extensive experience in working with phage vectors for delivery to cancer cells.
- Cancer immunotherapy using phage vectors.
- Experience in molecular cloning in phage.
- Experience in phage production using bacteria.
- Experience in cancer therapy in vivo using phage vectors.
- Gene Therapy.
This is a full time, fixed term contract for 1 year, with the possibility for extension.
If you experience any technical difficulties, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
About Imperial College London
Imperial College London is the UK’s only university focussed entirely on science, engineering, medicine and business and we are consistently rated in the top 10 universities in the world.
You will find our main London campus in South Kensington, with our hospital campuses located nearby in West and North London. We also have Silwood Park in Berkshire and state-of-the-art facilities in development at our major new campus in White City.
We work in a multidisciplinary and diverse community for education, research, translation and commercialisation, harnessing science and innovation to tackle the big global challenges our complex world faces.
It’s our mission to achieve enduring excellence in all that we do for the benefit of society – and we are looking for the most talented people to help us get there.
Please note that job descriptions cannot be exhaustive and the post-holder may be required to undertake other duties, which are broadly in line with the above key responsibilities.
All Imperial employees are expected to follow the 7 principles of Imperial Expectations:
- Champion a positive approach to change and opportunity
- Communicate regularly and effectively within, and across, teams
- Consider the thoughts and expectations of others
- Deliver positive outcomes
- Encourage inclusive participation and eliminate discrimination
- Develop and grow skills and expertise
- Work in a planned and managed way
In addition to the above, employees are required to observe and comply with all College policies and regulations.
Imperial College is committed to equality of opportunity, to eliminating discrimination and to creating an inclusive working environment. We are an Athena SWAN Silver award winner, a Stonewall Diversity Champion, a Disability Confident Employer and work in partnership with GIRES to promote respect for trans people.
Athena SWAN Silver Award 2016
We renewed our Silver in the April 2016 submission round. Recognising advancement of gender equality.