An exciting opportunity for a Research Assistant to work on a research programme investigating inflammatory signalling pathways and inflammasomes. The project is funded by the MRC and involves working with human and mouse macrophages using cutting-edge technologies to decipher the novel functions of lipids in innate immunity. We are looking for a highly motivated, ambitious, and a hard-working individual. The primary purpose of this post is to...
Job listing information
- Reference MED02915
- Date posted 17 December 2021
- Closing date 30 January 2022
An exciting opportunity for a Research Assistant to work on a research programme investigating inflammatory signalling pathways and inflammasomes. The project is funded by the MRC and involves working with human and mouse macrophages using cutting-edge technologies to decipher the novel functions of lipids in innate immunity. We are looking for a highly motivated, ambitious, and a hard-working individual. The primary purpose of this post is to assist with ongoing projects in the lab and provide day to day laboratory support.
The post-holder will be primarily based within the research laboratory of the Department of Infectious Disease at the Hammersmith Hospital Campus. You will employ laboratory-based techniques particularly those in cell biology, molecular biology, immunology, and biochemistry. Previous experience working in a lab environment is highly desirable.
Duties and responsibilities
- To assist in laboratory-based experiments which will involve extensive tissue culture, biochemistry and molecular biology assays.
- To conduct, plan and execute scientific work with supervision where appropriate.
- To identify and develop suitable techniques, for the collection and analysis of data.
- To present findings to colleagues
- To provide advice to other staff and students
- To assist with the publication of findings
- To provide technical assistance during experimental procedures in order to meet programme objectives.
- To acquire technical knowledge in a range of scientific disciplines such that experimental procedures can be quickly established, and troubleshooting carried out swiftly and effectively within agreed deadlines.
- The candidate should have a Masters’ degree in Life Sciences, preferably in the area of immunology, cell biology or molecular biology as well as relevant laboratory experience
- Experience in laboratory-based research/laboratory environment.
- Practical experience with the scientific procedures in immunology or molecular biology or a related discipline.
- Computer literacy using Microsoft Word, Excel and PowerPoint
- Experience in analytical techniques associated with immunology and molecular biology e.g., molecular cloning techniques and FACS.
- Experience working with RNA, proteins, or lipids.
Skills and Abilities
- Proven skills in relevant techniques
- Methodical approach and close attention to detail
- Ability to work with limited supervision and keep meticulous records
- Ability to prioritise own work in response to deadlines
- Ability to develop effective working relationships with all levels of staff, students and external contact
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Proven skills at problem-solving and overcoming obstacles
- Ability to use own initiative and work independently and as part of a team, as required
- Proven ability to prioritise, plan ahead and manage a high volume of work to meet deadlines, both prescribed and self-imposed, and ensure that the laboratory runs in an efficient and timely manner
- Ability and willingness to adapt to changing timetables or work patterns as dictated by changing circumstances
- Ability to interpret data, undertake descriptive and statistical analysis and prepare results for publication
- An open, flexible and positive approach to working in a constantly changing environment
- Flexible to work unsociable hours as technical procedures demand from time to time
- Enthusiasm to work as part of a team and to be open-minded and cooperative
- Flexible attitude towards work
- Diligence and punctuality
- Discipline and regard for confidentiality and security at all times
- Willingness to undertake any necessary training for the role.
About Imperial College London
Imperial College London is the UK’s only university focussed entirely on science, engineering, medicine and business and we are consistently rated in the top 10 universities in the world.
You will find our main London campus in South Kensington, with our hospital campuses located nearby in West and North London. We also have Silwood Park in Berkshire and state-of-the-art facilities in development at our major new campus in White City.
We work in a multidisciplinary and diverse community for education, research, translation and commercialisation, harnessing science and innovation to tackle the big global challenges our complex world faces.
It’s our mission to achieve enduring excellence in all that we do for the benefit of society – and we are looking for the most talented people to help us get there.
Please note that job descriptions cannot be exhaustive, and the post-holder may be required to undertake other duties, which are broadly in line with the above key responsibilities.
Imperial College is committed to equality of opportunity and to eliminating discrimination. All employees are expected to follow the Imperial Values & Behaviours framework. Our values are:
In addition to the above, employees are required to observe and comply with all College policies and regulations.
We are committed to equality of opportunity, to eliminating discrimination and to creating an inclusive working environment for all. We therefore encourage candidates to apply irrespective of age, disability, marriage or civil partnership status, pregnancy or maternity, race, religion and belief, gender identity, sex, or sexual orientation. We are an Athena SWAN Silver Award winner, a Disability Confident Leader and a Stonewall Diversity Champion.
For technical issues when applying online please email email@example.com.
Top 10 Employer for Working Families
Top 10 employer for working families
Race Equality Charter Bronze Award
Race Equality Charter Bronze Award
Athena SWAN Silver Award 2016
We renewed our Silver in the April 2016 submission round. Recognising advancement of gender equality.
Disability Confident leader
Imperial is a Disability Confident leader
Imperial is working in partnership with GIRES to promote respect and provide equal treatment for trans people