We are seeking a highly motivated Research Associate to work in the Section of Molecular Microbiology, which is part of the Centre for Molecular Bacteriology and Infection (CMBI) at Imperial College London. The research project will focus on the mechanisms of dissemination of Aspergillus fumigatus from the lung. It will use a range of state-of-the-art cell biology and live imaging techniques under the guidance of Dr Darius Armstrong-James. The...
Job listing information
- Reference MED02977
- Date posted 22 February 2022
- Closing date 8 March 2022
We are seeking a highly motivated Research Associate to work in the Section of Molecular Microbiology, which is part of the Centre for Molecular Bacteriology and Infection (CMBI) at Imperial College London. The research project will focus on the mechanisms of dissemination of Aspergillus fumigatus from the lung. It will use a range of state-of-the-art cell biology and live imaging techniques under the guidance of Dr Darius Armstrong-James. The purpose of the post is to establish proof of principle for modes of fungal dissemination in the lung using imaging techniques.
Duties and responsibilities
- To take initiatives in the planning of research
- To direct the work of small research teams
- To identify and develop suitable techniques, and apparatus, for the collection and analysis of data
- To conduct data analysis
- To ensure the validity and reliability of data at all times
- To maintain accurate and complete records of all findings
- To write reports for submission to research sponsors
- To present findings to colleagues and at conferences
- To submit publications to refereed journals
- To provide guidance to staff and students
- To attend relevant workshops and conferences as necessary
- To develop contacts and research collaborations within the College and the wider community
- To promote the reputation of the Group, the Department and the College
- To provide guidance to PhD Students
- Research Associate: Hold a PhD (or equivalent) in Microbiology, Immunology or a closely related discipline, or equivalent research, industrial or commercial experience
- Research Assistant: Near completion of a PhD (or equivalent) in Microbiology, Immunology or a closely related discipline, or equivalent research, industrial or commercial experience
- Practical experience in a broad range of techniques including molecular biology, microbiology, phage biology, transduction.
- Proven track record of high-quality scientific publication
- Competency in Aspergillus innate immune imaging and animal models
This is a Full Time and Fixed Term role for 9 months based at the South Kensington Campus.
Candidates who have not yet been officially awarded their PhD will be appointed as a Research Assistant within the salary range £36,694 - £39,888 per annum.
If you have any query about the role and would like to have an informal discussion, please email email@example.com
The College is a proud signatory to the San-Francisco Declaration on Research Assessment (DORA), which means that in hiring and promotion decisions, we evaluate applicants on the quality of their work, not the journal impact factor where it is published. For more information, see: https://www.imperial.ac.uk/research-and-innovation/about-imperial-research/research-evaluation/
The College believes that the use of animals in research is vital to improve human and animal health and welfare. Animals may only be used in research programmes where their use is shown to be necessary for developing new treatments and making medical advances. Imperial is committed to ensuring that, in cases where this research is deemed essential, all animals in the College’s care are treated with full respect, and that all staff involved with this work show due consideration at every level.http://www.imperial.ac.uk/research-and-innovation/about-imperial-research/research-integrity/animal-research/
About Imperial College London
Imperial College London is the UK’s only university focussed entirely on science, engineering, medicine and business and we are consistently rated in the top 10 universities in the world.
You will find our main London campus in South Kensington, with our hospital campuses located nearby in West and North London. We also have Silwood Park in Berkshire and state-of-the-art facilities in development at our major new campus in White City.
We work in a multidisciplinary and diverse community for education, research, translation and commercialisation, harnessing science and innovation to tackle the big global challenges our complex world faces.
It’s our mission to achieve enduring excellence in all that we do for the benefit of society – and we are looking for the most talented people to help us get there.
Please note that job descriptions cannot be exhaustive, and the post-holder may be required to undertake other duties, which are broadly in line with the above key responsibilities.
Imperial College is committed to equality of opportunity and to eliminating discrimination. All employees are expected to follow the Imperial Values & Behaviours framework. Our values are:
In addition to the above, employees are required to observe and comply with all College policies and regulations.
We are committed to equality of opportunity, to eliminating discrimination and to creating an inclusive working environment for all. We therefore encourage candidates to apply irrespective of age, disability, marriage or civil partnership status, pregnancy or maternity, race, religion and belief, gender reassignment, sex, or sexual orientation. We are an Athena SWAN Silver Award winner, a Disability Confident Leader and a Stonewall Diversity Champion.
For technical issues when applying online please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Top 10 Employer for Working Families
Top 10 employer for working families
Race Equality Charter Bronze Award
Race Equality Charter Bronze Award
Athena SWAN Silver Award 2016
We renewed our Silver in the April 2016 submission round. Recognising advancement of gender equality.
Disability Confident leader
Imperial is a Disability Confident leader
Imperial is working in partnership with GIRES to promote respect and provide equal treatment for trans people