Readership in Statistics
Applications are invited from outstanding individuals for a Readership in Statistics, to start from 1 July 2021 or as soon thereafter. You will work in the field of statistical science, broadly interpreted. Ambitious strategic investment by Imperial College into the Statistics Section in the Department of Mathematics is enabling further expansion. We expect to fill a number of new permanent academic positions over the next 2-3 years. This is...
Job listing information
- Reference NAT00901
- Date posted 26 March 2021
- Closing date 8 April 2021
Applications are invited from outstanding individuals for a Readership in Statistics, to start from 1 July 2021 or as soon thereafter. You will work in the field of statistical science, broadly interpreted.
Ambitious strategic investment by Imperial College into the Statistics Section in the Department of Mathematics is enabling further expansion. We expect to fill a number of new permanent academic positions over the next 2-3 years. This is in addition to recent hiring in time series, statistical theory and machine learning. This expansion is motivated in part by the development of a new cutting-edge online MSc Programme in Machine Learning and Data Science.
Duties and responsibilities
- To undertake a self-directed program of research and scholarship at a level commensurate with the current standards of excellence in the Section.
- To undertake teaching at a variety of levels and in various formats.
- To submit publications regularly to refereed journals.
- To generate grant income.
- To play a leading role in the Statistics community, both in the College and worldwide.
- To develop collaborative projects within the department, the College and elsewhere.
- To contribute to the assurance and enhancement of the quality of teaching and learning and research within the Department, in line with College standards.
- To undertake appropriate administrative tasks as directed by the Head of Department.
You must have a PhD (or equivalent) in Statistics, Mathematics or a closely related discipline; additionally, you must also have:
- Research interests in a field of statistical science, broadly interpreted
- An established national reputation and a developing international reputation and expertise in the area
- Extensive experience of teaching at undergraduate and/or postgraduate level across a range of subjects in Statistics
- A track record of successful PhD student supervision and postdoctoral mentoring
- Strong leadership qualities in areas which enhance and extend those of the Section
- A proven track record of securing research funding and sustaining a vigorous research programme
Interview date: 26 April 2021
For informal discussions about this position, please contact Professor Niall Adams, Head of the Statistics Section (email@example.com).
Queries relating to the application process should be directed to: Mrs Maria Monteiro, Senior Appointments Manager. (firstname.lastname@example.org)
The College is a proud signatory to the San-Francisco Declaration on Research Assessment (DORA), which means that in hiring and promotion decisions, we evaluate applicants on the quality of their work, not the journal impact factor where it is published. For more information, see: https://www.imperial.ac.uk/research-and-innovation/about-imperial-research/research-evaluation/
The College believes that the use of animals in research is vital to improve human and animal health and welfare. Animals may only be used in research programmes where their use is shown to be necessary for developing new treatments and making medical advances. Imperial is committed to ensuring that, in cases where this research is deemed essential, all animals in the College’s care are treated with full respect, and that all staff involved with this work show due consideration at every level: http://www.imperial.ac.uk/research-and-innovation/about-imperial-research/research-integrity/animal-research/
About Imperial College London
Imperial College London is the UK’s only university focussed entirely on science, engineering, medicine and business and we are consistently rated in the top 10 universities in the world.
You will find our main London campus in South Kensington, with our hospital campuses located nearby in West and North London. We also have Silwood Park in Berkshire and state-of-the-art facilities in development at our major new campus in White City.
We work in a multidisciplinary and diverse community for education, research, translation and commercialisation, harnessing science and innovation to tackle the big global challenges our complex world faces.
It’s our mission to achieve enduring excellence in all that we do for the benefit of society – and we are looking for the most talented people to help us get there.
Please note that job descriptions cannot be exhaustive and the post-holder may be required to undertake other duties, which are broadly in line with the above key responsibilities.
All Imperial employees are expected to follow the 7 principles of Imperial Expectations:
- Champion a positive approach to change and opportunity
- Communicate regularly and effectively within, and across, teams
- Consider the thoughts and expectations of others
- Deliver positive outcomes
- Encourage inclusive participation and eliminate discrimination
- Develop and grow skills and expertise
- Work in a planned and managed way
In addition to the above, employees are required to observe and comply with all College policies and regulations.
We are committed to equality of opportunity, to eliminating discrimination and to creating an inclusive working environment for all. We therefore encourage candidates to apply irrespective of age, disability, marriage or civil partnership status, pregnancy or maternity, race, religion and belief, gender identity, sex, or sexual orientation. We are an Athena SWAN Silver Award winner, a Disability Confident Leader and a Stonewall Diversity Champion.
For technical issues when applying online please email email@example.com.
Top 10 Employer for Working Families
Top 10 employer for working families
Athena SWAN Silver Award 2016
We renewed our Silver in the April 2016 submission round. Recognising advancement of gender equality.
Disability Confident leader
Imperial is a Disability Confident leader
Imperial is working in partnership with GIRES to promote respect and provide equal treatment for trans people