Technical Specialist in Mass Spectrometry (Proteomics and Biomolecules)
Applications are invited for a Technical Specialist in Mass Spectrometry to join our skilled team supporting research and teaching within the Department of Chemistry. The Department of Chemistry at Imperial College London is at an exciting time in its history. Already a world-leading Department, from mid-2018 we now occupy state-of-the art research facilities at Imperial’s new White City Campus following our move to the £170M Molecular...
Job listing information
- Reference NAT01409
- Date posted 16 March 2023
- Closing date 13 April 2023
Applications are invited for a Technical Specialist in Mass Spectrometry to join our skilled team supporting research and teaching within the Department of Chemistry.
The Department of Chemistry at Imperial College London is at an exciting time in its history. Already a world-leading Department, from mid-2018 we now occupy state-of-the art research facilities at Imperial’s new White City Campus following our move to the £170M Molecular Sciences Research Hub. This state-of-the-art facility allows for significant expansion of our research activities, bringing together work in Molecular Sciences across the College, and with external partners, to tackle global grand challenges.
You will be supervising and supporting the daily operational aspects of the Mass Spectrometry Facility (MSF) and the Agilent Measurement Suite (AMS) particularly related to protein and proteome analysis. You will have the opportunity to establish and operate a transformative high-throughput proteomics pipeline, based around a newly acquired cutting edge proteomics platform. The pipeline will incorporate automated sample preparation, data independent acquisition methods and machine learning based data processing tools. You will work with world-leading researchers applying their experience to a range of research areas including post translation modification analysis, interactomics, drug discovery and structural proteomics.
Molecular characterisation | Faculty of Natural Sciences | Imperial College London
Duties and responsibilities
The main duties of the post will include:
Supervise all operational aspects of the Mass Spectrometry Facility (MSF) for protein/proteomics:
- Troubleshooting, Operating and Maintaining uHPLC, nanoflow-LC systems and mass spectrometer instrumentation
- All aspects of preparation of protein and proteome samples for analysis
- Proteomics data processing
- Assisting users with experiment design and data analysis
- Secure management of data
- Liaise and coordinate with specialist engineers (multi-vendor) regarding the maintenance of equipment and service contracts where appropriate.
- Develop novel analytical methods to assist research.
- Preparation and calibration of instruments using own experience for procedure selection.
Supervise and support all operational aspects for the Agilent Measurement Suite (AMS):
- Provide expert technical support (proteomics and biomolecules) including independently training users and troubleshooting research instruments.
- Training researchers in the use of the research instrumentation within the AMS.
Supporting Chemistry Research (20%):
- Troubleshooting other departmental analytical equipment and training users.
- Act as a ‘point of contact’ for designated area(s) in the department for Academic Staff and Researchers.
- A BSc (or equivalent) in a Scientific Discipline (preferably Chemistry)
- Previous work experience in a relevant research instrumentation role in a HE or industrial environment.
- Working knowledge regarding principles of analytical research instrumentation, including high-resolution biomolecular mass spectrometry and nanoflow-LC.
- Experience of a wide range of software packages associated with analytical instrumentation.
This is a full time, fixed term position for 2 years, with the possibility of extension. The estimated start date is 1 June 2023 or as soon as possible thereafter.
Please complete the online application form.
The Department of Chemistry proudly holds an Athena SWAN Gold Award and strives to provide a working environment where all our staff feel fully supported to flourish and excel.
For further information please contact: Dr. Lisa Haigh (Technical Operations Manager) email@example.com and/or, Prof. Edward Tate (Professor of Chemical Biology) firstname.lastname@example.org.
Anticipated interview date: 9 and/or 11 May 2023
About Imperial College London
Imperial College London is the UK’s only university focussed entirely on science, engineering, medicine and business and we are consistently rated in the top 10 universities in the world.
You will find our main London campus in South Kensington, with our hospital campuses located nearby in West and North London. We also have Silwood Park in Berkshire and state-of-the-art facilities in development at our major new campus in White City.
We work in a multidisciplinary and diverse community for education, research, translation and commercialisation, harnessing science and innovation to tackle the big global challenges our complex world faces.
It’s our mission to achieve enduring excellence in all that we do for the benefit of society – and we are looking for the most talented people to help us get there.
Please note that job descriptions cannot be exhaustive, and the post-holder may be required to undertake other duties, which are broadly in line with the above key responsibilities.
Imperial College is committed to equality of opportunity and to eliminating discrimination. All employees are expected to follow the Imperial Values & Behaviours framework. Our values are:
In addition to the above, employees are required to observe and comply with all College policies and regulations.
We are committed to equality of opportunity, to eliminating discrimination and to creating an inclusive working environment for all. We therefore encourage candidates to apply irrespective of age, disability, marriage or civil partnership status, pregnancy or maternity, race, religion and belief, gender reassignment, sex, or sexual orientation. We are an Athena SWAN Silver Award winner, a Disability Confident Leader and a Stonewall Diversity Champion.
For technical issues when applying online please email email@example.com.
Top 10 Employer for Working Families
Top 10 employer for working families
Race Equality Charter Bronze Award
Race Equality Charter Bronze Award
Athena SWAN Silver Award 2016
We renewed our Silver in the April 2016 submission round. Recognising advancement of gender equality.
Disability Confident leader
Imperial is a Disability Confident leader
Imperial is working in partnership with GIRES to promote respect and provide equal treatment for trans people