Teaching Laboratory Manager
The Department of Life Sciences at Imperial College London is seeking a Teaching Laboratory Manager to oversee the technical teaching staff within the department. You will be responsible for the day-to-day management of Life Sciences teaching laboratories and associated space used for teaching, to provide direct line management to the technical teaching team staff, who are responsible for assisting in the delivery of practical Life Sciences...
Job listing information
- Reference NAT01442
- Date posted 15 May 2023
- Closing date 29 May 2023
The Department of Life Sciences at Imperial College London is seeking a Teaching Laboratory Manager to oversee the technical teaching staff within the department.
You will be responsible for the day-to-day management of Life Sciences teaching laboratories and associated space used for teaching, to provide direct line management to the technical teaching team staff, who are responsible for assisting in the delivery of practical Life Sciences teaching.
You will also plan and develop delivery of existing and new laboratory practical classes with the DUGS and other relevant staff.
Duties and responsibilities
- Provide direct line management to technical teaching staff including task allocation and regular two-way communication.
- Lead the recruitment and selection process for teaching technical staff, ensuring this meets the expectations of the departmental teaching strategies.
- Collate and analyse data, working with the team to ensure an equitable workload distribution.
- Plan the team’s requirements for the delivery of technical support to teaching and other activities where relevant, working with the TOM and other technical teams as appropriate.
- Carry out annual professional development reviews.
- Work closely with the TOM, DUGS and other teaching staff to deliver a proactive approach to the technical support for Life Sciences teaching and to enhance the skills base of the team to provide a further contribution to the first-class teaching of Life Sciences at Imperial.
- Manage and coordinate the teaching laboratory spaces on a day-to-day basis to ensure compliance with the requirements of the Department’s teaching commitments.
- Act as primary point of contact within the teaching laboratories.
- Liaise with others, as appropriate, to develop a strategic plan for the delivery of technical services and support for Life Sciences related practical classes across faculties and the college outreach programmes as required.
- Work closely with relevant directors of studies, academic colleagues and teaching fellows to develop practical classes across all Life Science disciplines, providing an entrepreneurial and innovative approach to idea generation.
- Work closely with technical staff in the testing and optimising of each practical and identify, provide or source training where necessary.
- Prepare and deliver reports to relevant directors of studies and committees as required.
- Maintain a presence in laboratories, demonstrating equipment and experiments and assisting students during practical classes.
- Oversee the technical team in ensuring consumable stock levels relating to practical classes are at an appropriate level.
- Ensure a robust Health and Safety (H&S) management system is in place, ensuring compliancy by all lab users.
- Provide leadership in the day-to-day monitoring of H&S within laboratories and during practical classes.
- Educated to degree level in Life Sciences or a related subject.
- Experience of practical undergraduate teaching in Life Sciences or related subject in an HE environment.
- Experience of managing a team.
- Experience of laboratories and equipment management.
- Experience of developing new methods and procedures
- Experience of managing H&S within laboratories
- Knowledge and experience of analysing management information
This is a full time and open ended role and you will be based on our South Kensington Campus.
Should you require any further details on the role please contact: Allison Hunter firstname.lastname@example.org
About Imperial College London
Imperial College London is the UK’s only university focussed entirely on science, engineering, medicine and business and we are consistently rated in the top 10 universities in the world.
You will find our main London campus in South Kensington, with our hospital campuses located nearby in West and North London. We also have Silwood Park in Berkshire and state-of-the-art facilities in development at our major new campus in White City.
We work in a multidisciplinary and diverse community for education, research, translation and commercialisation, harnessing science and innovation to tackle the big global challenges our complex world faces.
It’s our mission to achieve enduring excellence in all that we do for the benefit of society – and we are looking for the most talented people to help us get there.
Please note that job descriptions cannot be exhaustive, and the post-holder may be required to undertake other duties, which are broadly in line with the above key responsibilities.
Imperial College is committed to equality of opportunity and to eliminating discrimination. All employees are expected to follow the Imperial Values & Behaviours framework. Our values are:
In addition to the above, employees are required to observe and comply with all College policies and regulations.
We are committed to equality of opportunity, to eliminating discrimination and to creating an inclusive working environment for all. We therefore encourage candidates to apply irrespective of age, disability, marriage or civil partnership status, pregnancy or maternity, race, religion and belief, gender reassignment, sex, or sexual orientation. We are an Athena SWAN Silver Award winner, a Disability Confident Leader and a Stonewall Diversity Champion.
For technical issues when applying online please email email@example.com.
Top 10 Employer for Working Families
Top 10 employer for working families
Race Equality Charter Bronze Award
Race Equality Charter Bronze Award
Athena SWAN Silver Award 2016
We renewed our Silver in the April 2016 submission round. Recognising advancement of gender equality.
Disability Confident leader
Imperial is a Disability Confident leader
Imperial is working in partnership with GIRES to promote respect and provide equal treatment for trans people