Imperial College Students’ Union is an innovative, democratic and evolving organisation based in South Kensington supporting students studying at Imperial College London. As a Web Developer you will bring a hardworking and positive approach to a high-performing development team. The solutions the team produces help the organisation meet its results-oriented targets, providing excellent experiences for students at Imperial College. Working...
Job listing information
- Reference PRO00486
- Date posted 24 March 2021
- Closing date 11 April 2021
Imperial College Students’ Union is an innovative, democratic and evolving organisation based in South Kensington supporting students studying at Imperial College London.
As a Web Developer you will bring a hardworking and positive approach to a high-performing development team. The solutions the team produces help the organisation meet its results-oriented targets, providing excellent experiences for students at Imperial College.
Working with other staff in the organisation, your development skills (SQL, HTML, CSS, PHP etc.) will be the primary driver of improvement to our business management system and enabling exciting new applications for a range of functions. Strong knowledge of databases and SQL will be especially beneficial to you in this role.
You will be expected to use your skills to resolve issues and improve user interfaces and to maintain and improve our main customer-facing Drupal site, supporting our existing systems and documenting where necessary.
The ideal candidate will have a broad range of skills in front-end web development, server management and web-based application development. Experience working in an Agile development team and knowledge of user experience principles would be of benefit. We are committed to producing user-friendly, highly accessible solutions for our users, so knowledge of accessibility standards and responsive web design is vital to this role.
The team has been working remotely via Microsoft Teams but some office attendance will be expected as restrictions lift. You will be expected to be comfortable with standard remote working tools.
Duties and responsibilities
- Developing and maintaining the ‘eActivities’ business management system and the Union’s customer-facing website, imperialcollegeunion.org
- Manage databases and web applications, producing bespoke web solutions and functionality for specific needs
- Ensure that all websites and web applications are user-friendly and aligned with international web standards, including web accessibility requirements, users with mobile devices etc
- Assist in monitoring Union IT systems availability, responding to incidents, investigating and solving hardware and software problems
- Maintain appropriate documentation including process mapping and user manuals for all systems and services, following best coding practices and writing user-friendly, transferrable code
- Assist in the maintenance of web servers and databases as required
- Development and coding for websites, databases and/or web applications
- Demonstrable experience of working to a brief and specification
- Handling successful relationships with a wide variety of internal and external partners
- A track record of developing user-focused websites
- User Experience principles including web accessibility guidelines and coding for mobile devices
- Strong knowledge of databases, SQL and SQL Server technologies
Skills and Abilities
- A skilled user of IT who is efficient and provides excellent customer service
- An excellent role model who is upbeat, robust and able to work with a team and independently
- The ability to adapt quickly, respond to new challenges with an appetite for learning new technologies
This is initially a fixed-term 12-month role but with the possibility of extension.
Should you require any further details on the role please contact: Ashley Cory – firstname.lastname@example.org or 02075948060
About Imperial College London
Imperial College London is the UK’s only university focussed entirely on science, engineering, medicine and business and we are consistently rated in the top 10 universities in the world.
You will find our main London campus in South Kensington, with our hospital campuses located nearby in West and North London. We also have Silwood Park in Berkshire and state-of-the-art facilities in development at our major new campus in White City.
We work in a multidisciplinary and diverse community for education, research, translation and commercialisation, harnessing science and innovation to tackle the big global challenges our complex world faces.
It’s our mission to achieve enduring excellence in all that we do for the benefit of society – and we are looking for the most talented people to help us get there.
Please note that job descriptions cannot be exhaustive and the post-holder may be required to undertake other duties, which are broadly in line with the above key responsibilities.
All Imperial employees are expected to follow the 7 principles of Imperial Expectations:
- Champion a positive approach to change and opportunity
- Communicate regularly and effectively within, and across, teams
- Consider the thoughts and expectations of others
- Deliver positive outcomes
- Encourage inclusive participation and eliminate discrimination
- Develop and grow skills and expertise
- Work in a planned and managed way
In addition to the above, employees are required to observe and comply with all College policies and regulations.
We are committed to equality of opportunity, to eliminating discrimination and to creating an inclusive working environment for all. We therefore encourage candidates to apply irrespective of age, disability, marriage or civil partnership status, pregnancy or maternity, race, religion and belief, gender identity, sex, or sexual orientation. We are an Athena SWAN Silver Award winner, a Disability Confident Leader and a Stonewall Diversity Champion.
For technical issues when applying online please email email@example.com.
Top 10 Employer for Working Families
Top 10 employer for working families
Athena SWAN Silver Award 2016
We renewed our Silver in the April 2016 submission round. Recognising advancement of gender equality.
Disability Confident leader
Imperial is a Disability Confident leader
Imperial is working in partnership with GIRES to promote respect and provide equal treatment for trans people