Hackspace Skills Development Manager
The Hackspace Skills Development Manager is a key new role focusing on delivering world-class prototyping and hacking support services to student ventures, academic startups, and external SMEs. Based in the Advanced Hackspace at Imperial’s White City campus, this lively and varied post requires an enthusiastic self-starter who can multi-task, work to deadlines and take the initiative. You will have a significant interest in, prototyping,...
Job listing information
- Reference PRO00761
- Date posted 16 June 2022
- Closing date 17 July 2022
The Hackspace Skills Development Manager is a key new role focusing on delivering world-class prototyping and hacking support services to student ventures, academic startups, and external SMEs. Based in the Advanced Hackspace at Imperial’s White City campus, this lively and varied post requires an enthusiastic self-starter who can multi-task, work to deadlines and take the initiative. You will have a significant interest in, prototyping, hacking and making in the context of entrepreneurship, and have a keen interest in supporting the growth of startups and SMEs.
You will work with the rest of the Hackspace Fellows and incubation team to create and run key projects and programmes, continuing to build a safe working environment that supports advanced prototyping in mechanical, electrical and bio-hacking workshops and lab spaces. You will connect innovators and inventors with the tools and expertise they need to realise their creative ideas.
The physical incubation and prototyping spaces, including the Advanced Hackspace, are a unique venture, outstanding in terms of scale and ambition within a university environment.
Duties and responsibilities
- Maintain a safe and risk-free environment including infrastructure maintenance (ad hoc and planned preventative maintenance), defect reporting and minor improvements, service contracts and visits, defects and minor lab works/upgrades, ensuring that the teams produce the necessary risk assessments, requests for changes. Carry out inductions on equipment for all new members
- Nurture and support members of Hackspace and the Incubator in prototyping and project development, providing technical guidance and assistance including working with academic, student and external startups and SMEs, and the Imperial entrepreneurial community.
- Develop and run new prototype skills building activities/programmes (online or in-person events designed to engage and upskill - workshops, training and hackathons).
- Support the delivery of showcase events and demo days
- PhD in engineering or equivalent knowledge and skills
- NEBOSH or similar Safety Certificate or above
- Proven track record in fabrication, casting and prototyping in a range of materials (such as metal, wood and plastics, composite materials)
- Proven ability to communicate effectively and professionally at a variety of levels, with entrepreneurs, new academic and student ventures and spin-outs, external SMEs and the Advanced Hackspace and Incubation teams.
- Experience of contributing innovative ideas in order to solve technical problems
- Ability to organise own work with minimal supervision and prioritise work in response to deadlines
- Ability to use judgement to find solutions to challenges for which no standard procedures exist
This is a full time and open ended position, and you will be based in the White City campus (where travelling to other locations may be required).
This position may require working occasionally out of your normal working hours and weekends.
Please apply with an application form via the online system. CVs without a completed application form will not be considered. Successfully shortlisted candidates will be asked to undertake a practical assessment in the workshop as part of the interview process.
Should you require any further details on the role please contact: Graham Hewson, Head of Incubation at firstname.lastname@example.org.
About Imperial College London
Imperial College London is the UK’s only university focussed entirely on science, engineering, medicine and business and we are consistently rated in the top 10 universities in the world.
You will find our main London campus in South Kensington, with our hospital campuses located nearby in West and North London. We also have Silwood Park in Berkshire and state-of-the-art facilities in development at our major new campus in White City.
We work in a multidisciplinary and diverse community for education, research, translation and commercialisation, harnessing science and innovation to tackle the big global challenges our complex world faces.
It’s our mission to achieve enduring excellence in all that we do for the benefit of society – and we are looking for the most talented people to help us get there.
Please note that job descriptions cannot be exhaustive, and the post-holder may be required to undertake other duties, which are broadly in line with the above key responsibilities.
Imperial College is committed to equality of opportunity and to eliminating discrimination. All employees are expected to follow the Imperial Values & Behaviours framework. Our values are:
In addition to the above, employees are required to observe and comply with all College policies and regulations.
We are committed to equality of opportunity, to eliminating discrimination and to creating an inclusive working environment for all. We therefore encourage candidates to apply irrespective of age, disability, marriage or civil partnership status, pregnancy or maternity, race, religion and belief, gender reassignment, sex, or sexual orientation. We are an Athena SWAN Silver Award winner, a Disability Confident Leader and a Stonewall Diversity Champion.
For technical issues when applying online please email email@example.com.
Top 10 Employer for Working Families
Top 10 employer for working families
Race Equality Charter Bronze Award
Race Equality Charter Bronze Award
Athena SWAN Silver Award 2016
We renewed our Silver in the April 2016 submission round. Recognising advancement of gender equality.
Disability Confident leader
Imperial is a Disability Confident leader
Imperial is working in partnership with GIRES to promote respect and provide equal treatment for trans people