Director of Commercial Services
Are you looking to make an impact? Imperial College Union is a hard working students union that is seeking to make a positive impact on the experiences and outcomes of all Imperial College students, from all backgrounds. We’re looking for a new Director of Commercial Services that will help us deliver this mission, an exceptional passionate leader with extensive experience in developing and running high volume commercial services. You will...
Job listing information
- Reference PRO00914
- Date posted 14 March 2023
- Closing date 13 April 2023
Are you looking to make an impact?
Imperial College Union is a hard working students union that is seeking to make a positive impact on the experiences and outcomes of all Imperial College students, from all backgrounds. We’re looking for a new Director of Commercial Services that will help us deliver this mission, an exceptional passionate leader with extensive experience in developing and running high volume commercial services. You will have comprehensive experience in financial and people management and will have the ability to lead and develop teams to deliver outstanding services. You will bring a clear understanding of delivering change and increasing profitability.
This is a fantastic opportunity to join an organisation that has an exciting future ahead, in a fantastic location, within a vibrant community. Become part of our journey to be an exceptional students’ union that delivers outstanding commercial services.
Duties and responsibilities
The Director of Commercial Services is a member of the Students’ Union’s Senior Management Team, with shared corporate responsibility for the management of all services and activities undertaken by the organisation.
They will provide strategic leadership for the Commercial Directorate and is therefore responsible for the development and implementation of ICU strategy relating to Retail, Licenced Trade, Venues and Events. They will ensure the delivery and resourcing of operating plans, policy and operating procedures to ensure that the Union delivers its strategic objectives across its commercial services.
They will also be responsible for ensuring that the Union delivers excellent services for its members whilst meeting financial commitments as per the Union’s financial model and operational budgets. The post-holder will ensure that the Union values of integrity, democracy, inclusivity, accountability and ambition guide the work of the directorate, and will develop and maintain excellent working relationships with internal, College and external partners.
As a senior leader in the organisation, the Director of Commercial Services will take personal accountability for delivering projects, developments and strategic improvements within their remit.
- Personal License holder with the ability to become Designated Premises Supervisor
- Experience of balancing multiple large budgets (i.e. turnover of more than £2 million)
- Experience of senior level management and leadership
- Experience of leading multi-site commercial operations (including bars)
- Experience of leading a team to deliver sustained, incremental improvement to their commercial performance and customer service
- Effectively building partnerships to enhance the reputation of an organisation
- Experience of negotiating significant and sophisticated contracts
- Experience of leading a customer focused culture
- An in-depth knowledge of multiple commercial services, including licensed premises (preferably within a wider organisation)
- A solid understanding of Health and Safety legislation, COSHH and relevant standard process
- Significant understanding of Licensing Law and the requirements for operating licensed premises
- Ability to work in a complex environment with the skills to develop positive relationships with a range of partners
- Strong project management skills
- Excellent interpersonal skills with the ability to relate to and communicate efficiently with people at all levels
- Generation and management of organisational change
- Sound judgment and the self-confidence to handle competing priorities and an ambitious workload in a pressurized environment
- Excellent business insight and financial expertise
- Values, Attitudes & Personal Style
- Evidence of commitment to continuing personal and professional development
- A leader on equality of opportunity who values diversity and removes barriers to equality
- An excellent role model who promotes high standards of probity, integrity, and honesty
- A strong commitment to working in a democratic and student-led environment
As well as a highly competitive salary, working at the Students’ Union means you'll be part of an exciting and progressive environment. Whilst the Union is fully independent, all of our staff are on Imperial College employment contracts meaning that you will gain access to a fantastic range of benefits including:
- Flexible working hours
- 39 to 40 days annual leave per year including bank holiday and Christmas closure
- Generous pension scheme with employer contribution of 21.6%
- Discounted membership of the College ‘s innovative gym and sports facilities
- Health benefits such as free eye tests and well person screenings
- A comprehensive range of training and development opportunities including access to the College’s full People and Organisational Development Programme
- Other benefits including Bicycle loan scheme and Season ticket loan
To apply for this role please complete the online application form.
Should you require any further details on the role please contact the ICU People team at firstname.lastname@example.org
Closing date: 13thApril 2023 at 12 Noon
Long list interviews: 20 April (Remote)
Final stage interviews: 27 April (On Site)
About Imperial College London
Imperial College London is the UK’s only university focussed entirely on science, engineering, medicine and business and we are consistently rated in the top 10 universities in the world.
You will find our main London campus in South Kensington, with our hospital campuses located nearby in West and North London. We also have Silwood Park in Berkshire and state-of-the-art facilities in development at our major new campus in White City.
We work in a multidisciplinary and diverse community for education, research, translation and commercialisation, harnessing science and innovation to tackle the big global challenges our complex world faces.
It’s our mission to achieve enduring excellence in all that we do for the benefit of society – and we are looking for the most talented people to help us get there.
Please note that job descriptions cannot be exhaustive, and the post-holder may be required to undertake other duties, which are broadly in line with the above key responsibilities.
Imperial College is committed to equality of opportunity and to eliminating discrimination. All employees are expected to follow the Imperial Values & Behaviours framework. Our values are:
In addition to the above, employees are required to observe and comply with all College policies and regulations.
We are committed to equality of opportunity, to eliminating discrimination and to creating an inclusive working environment for all. We therefore encourage candidates to apply irrespective of age, disability, marriage or civil partnership status, pregnancy or maternity, race, religion and belief, gender reassignment, sex, or sexual orientation. We are an Athena SWAN Silver Award winner, a Disability Confident Leader and a Stonewall Diversity Champion.
For technical issues when applying online please email email@example.com.
Top 10 Employer for Working Families
Top 10 employer for working families
Race Equality Charter Bronze Award
Race Equality Charter Bronze Award
Athena SWAN Silver Award 2016
We renewed our Silver in the April 2016 submission round. Recognising advancement of gender equality.
Disability Confident leader
Imperial is a Disability Confident leader
Imperial is working in partnership with GIRES to promote respect and provide equal treatment for trans people