Imperial College Union is a vibrant, member-led charity organisation comprising the 18,000+ students of Imperial College London - one of the world's top universities. If you are excited by the opportunity to help us do things differently, empower others and build a students' union that can better support our students, then we could have a role for you. The venues team is an integral part of the Student’s Union, running and delivering high...
Job listing information
- Reference PRO00988
- Date posted 27 July 2023
- Closing date 3 September 2023
Imperial College Union is a vibrant, member-led charity organisation comprising the 18,000+ students of Imperial College London - one of the world's top universities. If you are excited by the opportunity to help us do things differently, empower others and build a students' union that can better support our students, then we could have a role for you.
The venues team is an integral part of the Student’s Union, running and delivering high quality events and operations across 4 bars and 1 nightclub in the heart of Imperial College campuses in central London.
We have a fantastic new job opportunity for an eager and impassioned individual to join our exciting new venues team. Working in an exhilarating and inspiring environment, you will have accomplished day-to-day operational skills, being responsible for managing fast paced bars & events, supervising a high number of casual staff and collaborating with both internal and external staff, contractors and partners. You will produce excellent communication and planning skills, bringing your ideas to the table regarding development of product range, menus, and pricing, as well as recruiting, training and motivating staff and assisting in the support of the wider development of the venues team.
Experience of running fast paced venues is highly desirable but more meaningfully than that is the drive and dedication to ensure our student members have the most positive and valued experiences from our organisation.
Duties and responsibilities
The Duty Manager will be responsible for effective supervision of Imperial College Union venues on an operational basis - supporting the Venues team in achieving sales targets, day to day administration, stock and cost controls. The Duty Manager will lead our team of casual workers and external contractors whilst on shift to push high standards across customer service, product quality, health & safety and hygiene. The post holder will support the Venues team in upholding all of our licensing conditions as well as adhering to our own internal policies and procedures and promoting these to our casual team and external contractors.
This role is required to work flexibly, with work scheduled primarily for evenings and weekends. The rota is done on a 5-in-7 basis and any hours worked over the contractual amount are managed on a flexi-basis / TOIL. The role will be based on site between South Kensington and Hammersmith campus.
- Personal License holder or the willingness to train to acquire
- SIA Qualified or the willingness to train to acquire
- Basic Food Hygiene certificate or the willingness to train to acquire
- Appropriate Health and Safety Qualification or the willingness to train to acquire
- Experience of managing people in a busy, licensed trade premises within a customer-focused environment
- Experience of taking responsibility for a venue and/or commercial outlet
- Experience of handling /supervising a large staff team with consideration given to working to high and low demand.
- Experience in stock control and cellar management, including the keeping of real ale or the willingness to learn
- Experience of working to hit sales and financial targets
- Experience in the execution of events and functions
- Experience of leading /supervising a large staff team with consideration given to working to high and low demand.
- Experience of using EPOS systems or willingness to learn
- Basic IT skills and the ability to use different technological systems such as EPOS
- Demonstrable leadership skills, with the ability to inspire confidence from team members
- Excellent communication skills with the ability to relate to and communicate efficiently with people at all levels
- Ability to quickly build relationships with
- Good product knowledge relating to food and beverage outlets
- Excellent problem-solving skills and adaptability in fast paced environment
- Evidence of a commitment to continuing personal and professional development
- An excellent role model who promotes high standards of probity, integrity and honesty
- An appreciation for equality of opportunity who values diversity and removes barriers to equality
- A commitment to achieving excellence in service delivery and ability to demonstrate this with their personal actions
Please note this role is with the Students’ Union. We’re a registered charity in our right, with our own governance, systems, processes and objectives. However, we work extremely closely with Imperial College London, so you’ll also be joining a wider community of staff working within higher education. If you’ve never worked in a students’ union, or are unsure why it’s different, we urge you to get in contact. It’s a brilliant place to work.
As an employee of Imperial College, you will be part of lively community and work in a friendly and relaxed environment. Our aim is to provide to all our employees a supportive and relaxed working environment with an emphasis on personal development and work-life balance. Based on that we offer:
- flexible working hours
- generous pension scheme
- 25 days holiday (plus 6/7 extra days per year for College Christmas and Easter closures)
- bicycle loan scheme
- season ticket loan
- health benefits
- excellent professional development opportunities and many more.
More information can be found on the Imperial College Benefits page: http://www.imperial.ac.uk/jobs/benefits/
To apply for the role please complete the online application form.
We are running a characteristic anonymised application process for this recruitment as part of the College’s commitment to equal opportunities and eliminating discrimination. Applicants will be assigned an application reference number and applicants’ names will not be visible to recruiting managers until the interview stage. You will not be required to attach a CV. Please also refrain from including your name in your supporting statement.
Should you require any further details on the role please contact Kat Iliopoulou (Venue Operations Manager) via email@example.com.
Interviews will be expected to take place week commencing 11th September 2023.
About Imperial College London
Imperial College London is the UK’s only university focussed entirely on science, engineering, medicine and business and we are consistently rated in the top 10 universities in the world.
You will find our main London campus in South Kensington, with our hospital campuses located nearby in West and North London. We also have Silwood Park in Berkshire and state-of-the-art facilities in development at our major new campus in White City.
We work in a multidisciplinary and diverse community for education, research, translation and commercialisation, harnessing science and innovation to tackle the big global challenges our complex world faces.
It’s our mission to achieve enduring excellence in all that we do for the benefit of society – and we are looking for the most talented people to help us get there.
Please note that job descriptions cannot be exhaustive, and the post-holder may be required to undertake other duties, which are broadly in line with the above key responsibilities.
Imperial College is committed to equality of opportunity and to eliminating discrimination. All employees are expected to follow the Imperial Values & Behaviours framework. Our values are:
In addition to the above, employees are required to observe and comply with all College policies and regulations.
We are committed to equality of opportunity, to eliminating discrimination and to creating an inclusive working environment for all. We therefore encourage candidates to apply irrespective of age, disability, marriage or civil partnership status, pregnancy or maternity, race, religion and belief, gender reassignment, sex, or sexual orientation. We are an Athena SWAN Silver Award winner, a Disability Confident Leader and a Stonewall Diversity Champion.
For technical issues when applying online please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Top 10 Employer for Working Families
Top 10 employer for working families
Race Equality Charter Bronze Award
Race Equality Charter Bronze Award
Athena SWAN Silver Award 2016
We renewed our Silver in the April 2016 submission round. Recognising advancement of gender equality.
Disability Confident leader
Imperial is a Disability Confident leader
Imperial is working in partnership with GIRES to promote respect and provide equal treatment for trans people