Are you passionate about photography? Do you want to see your work on campus?
Enter the competition
Enter the 2019 Mechanical Engineering Photo Competition by filling in the entry form linked below.
Deadline for submissions: 1 October 2019 at midnight
Our departmental photo competition celebrates the visual side of engineering, and provides an opportunity for people in the department to exhibit their photography work.
Take out your cameras – or phones! – and snap some photos that encapsulate the essence of mechanical engineering, whether it be around London, on your travels or here in the department.
We are looking for images that are visually appealing and original, as well as inspiring and relevant to engineering. The competition is open only to students, staff and alumni from the Department of Mechanical Engineering at Imperial College London.
Entries must be submitted by 1 October 2019 at midnight.
- The only type of images accepted are photographs. Previously published photographs, not created specifically for the competition are also eligible.
- We will only consider entries submitted before the specified deadline through the form provided specifically for this purpose.
- Submit your entries as JPEG/JPG files, maximum 3Mb in size, 1000px on the shortest side, and with your name in the title of the file. Please note that if you are selected as a winner, you will need to provide us with a 300dpi resolution file of your image that can be printed in minimum A1 size.
- Each participant can submit up to three entries.
- Images may be black and white or in color, taken with any kind of camera. Minor adjustments are allowed, such as minor changes in cropping, sharpening, contrast, etc. Significantly altered or artistically enhanced photos are not accepted. The judges may request the original file/RAW/negative of your photo to verify this.
Competition Criteria and Prizes
You are welcome to submit photographs from all aspects of Engineering including from teaching and research; from work in the labs here to projects around the globe. We will award up to 12 prizes of £150 each.
The prizewinning images will also be exhibited on campus in the City and Guilds building. Winning entries from the 2018 competition are currently displayed on CAGB level 7.
Prizes will only be awarded subject to receiving a high enough number of submissions and their quality standard being sufficient for display.
Mingxuan Cai- Student Representative
Emeritus Professor David Ewins- Distinguished Research Fellow, Department of Mechanical Engineering; founding member of the Imperial Photographic Society
Honey Salvadori- Professional photographer; evening photography class tutor at Imperial
Terms and conditions of the competition:
It is the responsibility of participants to ensure that the photographs they are submitting are their own work, that they own the copyright for them and that they do not infringe on the copyright or other rights of any third party.
It is the responsibility of participants to ensure that the images do not infringe any laws and that they have been taken with the consent of anyone who is identifiable in the image, or the consent of their parent/guardian if they are under 18.
Copyright for the submitted images remains with their authors. However, by entering the competition, participants are granting us irrevocable, perpetual permission for non-commercial use of the images online and in print, in any promotional materials related to the competition, and in an exhibition on campus.