Life Sciences students in the lab

Imperial ‘families’

Imperial College Union’s ‘Mums and Dads’ scheme matches first years with existing students to help them tap into the wealth of peer support and expertise of students in higher years within their Department. These 'parents' help their 'children' to navigate the start of their studies and settle into university life.

Departmental support

Each department has a comprehensive network in place to support your son or daughter's academic and personal development throughout their time at Imperial.

Personal tutor

Your son/daughter's first point of contact within the College will usually be their personal tutor – a member of academic staff who can offer help and support with both academic and personal issues.

They will be the first port of call for any academic, welfare, financial or pastoral issues that your son or daughter may have. Personal tutors can also provide an academic reference when they apply for jobs, placements or further study.

Senior tutor

Most departments have a Senior Tutor whose job it is to oversee the personal and/or academic tutors. Your son/daughter can turn to them for further advice, or if their personal tutor is unavailable.

What if my son/daughter is struggling with their course?

If your son/daughter feels that they are struggling, their personal tutor can help. They will be able to advise him/her about their academic progress, identify strengths and weaknesses, and suggest ways to improve their performance.

Student support