Students in kitchen at halls

Halls of residence

All offer holders who make Imperial their firm choice are guaranteed a place in one of our halls of residence for their first year, as long as they are eligible and apply by the deadline.

Student accommodation at Imperial explained

Accommodation at Imperial explained

We have a wide variety of self-catered accommodation to suit different tastes and budgets, ranging from modern purpose-built halls to converted Victorian town houses – some within walking distance of campus. Both single and shared rooms are available, and students also have the choice between en-suite rooms and those with shared bathroom facilities. All halls are mixed gender, while all shared rooms are single gender.

Each hall has its own individual atmosphere and social life, and their welcoming environment allows students to develop a sense of home and community. All our halls are equipped with communal kitchens where residents can prepare meals, and there are also a variety of catering outlets on campus providing discounted food and drink for students.

For more detailed information about Imperial’s halls of residence please visit our Accommodation web pages, where you can compare rooms and halls, and take 360 degree virtual tours of our accommodation.

Info on halls of residence

How to apply

Applications for accommodation normally open in late May and close in late July for students who have made Imperial their firm choice. Your son/daughter will receive an email with application instructions, and can specify their top five preferences based on price, room type (single or twin) and hall of residence. They can only choose one single room per hall and their preferences are all ranked equally. While there are no guarantees, we’ll do our best to match one of their preferences. No priority is given to students who apply early.

For students who make Imperial their insurance choice, applications for accommodation open in August, though a place is not guaranteed.

We allocate rooms in early September.

How much does it cost?

Rent ranges from £102–£281 a week (for 2018–19), and is paid on a termly basis. Invoices for accommodation fees are issued to students via email before the start of every term, and payment can be made online, or by cheque or bank transfer.

The length of our accommodation contracts vary from 38–40 weeks, though students have the option to stay over the summer at some halls.

The accommodation fee is inclusive of utilities, high-speed internet and contents insurance. En-suite rooms closest to campus tend to be the most expensive, while sharing a room is cheaper.

What will my son/daughter need to bring?

All study bedrooms are equipped with a bed, study desk, chair, wardrobe, shelving, desk lamp, curtains, chest of drawers, notice board and bookcase. Your son/daughter will need to bring everything else that is necessary for independent living, such as bedding, cooking utensils, a network cable, and so on. If they intend to bring a TV with them for their room, or watch live TV or BBC iPlayer on their laptop or any other device, they will need a TV license.

Bedroom, bathroom and kitchen 'packs' can be ordered online from Uni Kit Out, and delivered straight to your son/daughter's hall. There is a 10 per cent discount for Imperial students.

None of our halls have allocated parking and street parking is expensive, so we advise students not to bring a car.

Safety and security

Students moving into halls of residence will benefit from the help of experienced residential support teams who provide round-the-clock care throughout the year. The team includes a number of returning students, giving residents the option to talk to other students as well as staff. All residents must also complete a health and safety briefing as part of their induction.

All halls of residence have CCTV and swipe card or fob entry systems. We run a number of campaigns throughout the year to raise awareness of ways in which students can protect themselves and their possessions. We also provide practical support, such as secure storage options for students who bring their bikes to campus and the chance to buy gold standard bike locks at a heavily discounted price.

Adapted accommodation

We have a range of rooms in our undergraduate halls that are designed for students with disabilities or additional requirements. Your son or daughter should contact our Disability Advisory Service as early as possible for more information and to discuss their needs, and must ensure that they indicate on their online application that they have special accommodation requirements. This will ensure that they are allocated to an appropriate room.

Beyond the first year

Private accommodation

Most students live in private accommodation from their second year onwards. London has a huge range of houses, flats and studios available to rent, which can make finding somewhere to live seem like a daunting task, but there is plenty of help available:

  • We have an online guide to finding private accommodation, which explains the process step by step.
  • The Student Hub runs an online property search website exclusively for Imperial students: Imperial Home Solutions. This enables students to search for housing by various different criteria and connect with potential flatmates, as well as offering valuable advice.
  • Our Private Housing Evening provides a wealth of information about finding private accommodation in London, and features an exhibition with estate agents, private halls providers and other relevant parties.
  • Our annual ‘Find a Flatmate’ event helps students meet potential sharers.
  • A new scheme, launched in 2017, that allows students unable to find a UK-based guarantor to use the College as a guarantor in rental agreements.

Staying on in halls

Students outside Evelyn GardensStaying on in College accommodation for another year could be a great transitional option for your son/daughter, offering a sense of familiarity but with more independence than the first year experience.

One way students can do this is by applying to join their hall's residential support team as a hall senior, helping to organise social events and activities for residents.

There are also spaces for returning students in our Evelyn Gardens hall of residence, and it may be possible to apply for vacancies in other halls that have not been taken by new first-year students.