Students in kitchen at halls

The transition to university life involves a lot of change, and it’s natural for students to feel anxious or homesick. If your son or daughter is experiencing difficulties in their personal life, there are lots of people on hand to provide support.

Who's here to help?

  • their personal tutor – an academic member of staff in their department
  • residential support teams who provide 24/7 care in our halls of residence
  • independent professional advisers in Imperial College Union’s advice centre
  • their Imperial ‘parents’ – returning students who have volunteered for the Union’s peer mentoring scheme
  • the Student financial support team, who can offer advice on funding and budgeting for student life
  • the Student Counselling and Mental Health Advice service, offering confidential individual sessions with professional counsellors, and life skill workshops
  • Student Mental Health Advisers, who offer support and advice to students affected by significant or enduring mental health difficulties
  • Study Mentors: Mental Health, who provide specialist support to help students keep on track with academic work
  • volunteers who work on the confidential overnight telephone listening service, Nightline

Our Student Support Zone website contains information on all of our student support services, alongside a wide range of practical guidance.

If you have any concerns about your child during their time at Imperial, please urge them to access some of the support available.

Support - halls & international

Students in halls

What if my son/daughter feels homesick?

All of our halls of residence have a dedicated network of support to help new students settle in and get accustomed to living away from home.

Every hall has a residential support team who are on call 24/7 to look after your son or daughter's wellbeing and maintain a friendly living environment. The team also plays an important part in the social life of the hall, organising a rolling programme of events to bring everyone together.

In addition, our Students' Union has over 350 clubs, societies and projects for students to join, and puts on a huge range of social events throughout the year.

Students in halls

What support is there for international students?

Imperial is proud to be the UK's most international university, with students from over 130 countries coming to study here.

Our dedicated International Student Support team is on hand to offer specialist visa and immigration advice to both current and prospective students, and they also run a year-round programme of social events.

Our Centre for Academic English provides free classes focusing on both academic English and English for social contexts, to enhance communication skills and employability.

Further support

Student with a doctor

What if my son/daughter is unwell?

We have an NHS Health Centre located on our South Kensington campus, which all students can use during the day. We require all students living in College accommodation to register with a local doctor.

There is also a Dental Surgery next to the Health Centre, which offers a range of NHS and private treatments.

Princes Gardens

What religious support is available?

Imperial's Chaplaincy Multi-Faith Centre has chaplains from many different religions, as well as prayer rooms and information on local places of worship.

More than 10 of Imperial College Union's student societies are faith-based to help your son/daughter meet like-minded students.