Department of Surgery and Cancer Academic Promotions 2024
All proposals in the Department (whether by departmental recommendation or self-application) will be considered by the following panels:
Promotion to Professor; Professor of Education; Professor of Practice:
Head of Department (Chair), Heads of Divisions (or nominees), Director of Education Strategy and Quality, and the Departmental Professors who are available on the date of the Departmental Review Panel.
Promotion to Senior Lecturer and Reader:
Head of Department (Chair), Heads of Divisions (or nominees), Director of Education Strategy and Quality and the Departmental Professors who are available on the date of the Departmental Review Panel, one Reader and one Senior Lecturer.
In advance of the Departmental Review Panel meeting, all Heads of Division will receive a list of staff eligible to apply for promotion for their review.
At the Department Review Panel all applications are reviewed; Heads of Divisions (or sometimes an alternative Academic supporter) presents their divisional candidate’s application to the panel, highlighting the achievements and promotion potential to enable the panel to make a decision, as to whether the application will be departmentally supported.
The Departmental Review panel provides each supported candidate with names of two supporters to provide guidance and advice to candidates regarding their promotion and to be responsible for advising the Head of Department on the selection of Departmental referees.
Outline Dates for 2024
7th August 2023 – eligible staff lists sent to Head of Divisions for review.
7th August 2023 – Early Notification sent out to the Department to eligible staff to start to have conversations with their Line Manager and Head of Section/Division of a potential application and to start to gather in the information required based on the previous year’s application form.
2nd October 2023 – Formal Memorandum (email) from the Head of Department sent to all eligible Academic, ARF/SRF Research and eligible staff (applying for Reader or Professor of Education) on the Learning & Teaching Family. Details of the Academic Promotions procedure and timetable, including relevant attachments and links for further information.
16th October 2023 (by 5pm) – Deadline for submission of DRAFT Application Form including publications list to Karen Pontifex (email@example.com). Applications will not be accepted after this date.
10th November 2023 – Departmental Review Panel
Staff who have applied will be notified as soon as possible after this date as to whether their application is supported/unsupported by the Panel.
Department will ask the Heads of Divisions/supporters to prepare the HoD Citation, Education Citation and arrange for a Clinical Citation.
8th December 2023 (by noon) – Candidates to submit Final Application form to Karen Pontifex firstname.lastname@example.org
- FINAL version of the application form (signed electronic version)
11th December 2023 (by 5pm) – Department submits All applications to the Faculty Promotions Panel attended by the Head of Department
15th December 2023 (by noon) – Heads of Divisions or Supporters to submit to Karen Pontifex (email@example.com)
- Final version of the Departmental form (referees for each candidate)
- Final version of the HoD Citation for Head of Department to review
- Final version of the Education Citation for the Director of Education to review
- Clinical statement of support from a senior NHS representative (for the Clinical applicants)
20th December 2023 – Faculty Promotions Panel
Department will be notified of Faculty Promotions Panel decisions and the Department will notify applicants and supporters soon after.
12th January 2024 (by Noon)– Department to submit Application Form; Department Form; HoD Citation; Education Citation; Clinical statement of support for clinical applicants to College HR to (firstname.lastname@example.org).
26th January 2024 (by Noon) – Candidates to submit to Karen Pontifex (email@example.com)
- MEQ teaching evaluation reports relating to the last two years. Individual candidates may optionally provide additional attributable feedback (e.g. via peer observation or older SOLE data to supplement the centrally run MEQ) but this is not required. All available evidence will be considered by panels.
- Four selected publications in electronic format – These will be recent publications which have had the greatest impact since the previous promotion or since appointment at the College, and that show what has been achieved in the interim. Publications prior to appointment at the College or used to support a previous application for successful promotion will not be considered.
- A summary of the importance and originality of the selected publications – a brief paragraph for each selected publication on one-page.
2nd February 2024 – Department to submit teaching Evaluation reports; four selected publications and summary to College HR to (firstname.lastname@example.org).
February - April 2024 – College HR will email all the named referees and may refer back to the Department regarding selection of referees
March 2024 – College HR informs the Department of the dates for the candidate interviews; the Department will inform candidates and arrange observers.
May 2024 – relevant candidates (Faculty of Medicine) will be interviewed and accompanied by the HoD or nominated observer.
Decisions – In consultation with the Faculty Deans and Heads of Department, applicants will be informed as soon as possible after a final decision has been made.
Please refer to the Academic Promotions webpages for all information relating to the process, forms and criteria, and ensure you are familiar with all the Appendices and Guidance Notes.
Staff may wish to discuss the process informally with their Line Manager, Head of Division or Head of Department, who can provide informal guidance and advice.