Applying for a PhD or MD(Res)
How to apply
1. Identify a supervisor
The first step is to identify a supervisor and research project. Applications without a named supervisor will not be considered. Please read through the research interests of our Department.
2. Complete the online application form
All applicants are assessed through an online application process by our admissions team. A link to the application can be found on the College's Registry pages. If you need guidance to complete the form please see Applying.
Please note, you must provide referees professional email addresses (Gmail, Hotmail etc. accounts will not be acceptable). Also, you cannot use your proposed supervisor(s) as a referee.
3. Enter the correct course code
Clinical Medicine Research (Surgery and Cancer) FT
Clinical Medicine Research (Surgery and Cancer) PT
Clinical Medicine Research MD(Res) (Surgery and Cancer) FT
Clinical Medicine Research MD(Res) (Surgery and Cancer) PT
|PhD or MD(Res)||ICL Staff||
A3Z1DA Clinical Medicine Research (Surgery and Cancer) PT
A3P1DA Clinical Medicine Research MD(Res) (Surgery and Cancer) PT
*Staff-students must select "Staff Research Students" option on the first page of the application
What happens to my application?
- Your application is assessed for eligibility by the medicine admissions team in the College.
- Once eligibility has been assessed, the application is forwarded to the Department for consideration. This will show as “With Department for Consideration” on the college system.
- Once in the Department, there are three steps to the application. First of all, the proposed supervisor must confirm that they are happy to offer you a place. When the supervisor has agreed to this, the application is forwarded to the Head and Manager of their Division for approval (e.g. Division of Surgery, Division of Cancer, or Division of APMIC).
- Once approval has been granted, the application is forwarded to the Director of Postgraduate Studies (DPS) for approval.
- Only when supervisor, Divisional, and DPS approval is received can your application be accepted by the Department.
- The admissions team at College will then process your offer, which may be conditional on you completing certain conditions.
Your proposed start date should allow at least two to three clear calendar months from submitting your application.
Backdating enrolment is no longer permitted by College Admissions. The PGR office team may be able to advise on a route, if there are exceptional circumstances.
Are you a member of staff?
As a member of staff, you may be eligible for a discounted rate of fees. For more information, please refer to the College’s Tuition Fee Remission Scheme.
Opportunities for funding
- Surgery and Cancer PhD Studentship opportunities
- College Scholarships and Awards