Casualty Reception and Initial Management
Delivery of this short course will be suspended during the COVID-19 pandemic, please check back on the website for an update in October 2020.
This course will link the differing aspects of trauma care into a cohesive syllabus to give a trauma surgeon a greater insight into the overall management of trauma. There will also be a focus on the development of the trauma team leader role.
Themes, aims and teaching
The overarching theme for the Casualty Reception and Initial Management short course is innovation with the Intercollegiate Surgical Curriculum at its core. Themes and topics include:
- epidemiology of trauma
- initial assessment
- resuscitation and stabilisation of a trauma patient
- principles of damage control resuscitation
- trauma patient assessment involving history and description of the physical examination
- plan of care pathway for future management of the trauma patient, including multi-disciplinary team analysis
Who is the course suitable for
The Casualty Reception and Initial Management short course welcome surgeons in training in the NHS, military personal, healthcare practitioners and multidisciplinary support staff involved in the care and treatment of trauma patients. Discounts are available for NHS employees and military staff.
What to expect
- You can expect world-class tuition and expertise from the domain of trauma management, have the opportunity to work alongside masters students, with a ‘taster’ opportunity for attendees with an eye on postgraduate study.
- The course is intense, Monday to Friday and nine to five. Refreshments will be available at the start of the day and at the start of the afternoon session.
- You have the option to take part in formal assessment at Masters level in a world class university and receive a transcript from Imperial College London and obtain a certificate of attendance for your portfolio.
- Find out more from the Trauma management - Casualty reception 2018 timetable.
There are 20 places available
Fees and registering
To find out more about eligibility and fee status, assessment or certificate options please get in touch with Tyson Harcombe firstname.lastname@example.org.