President's Awards for Excellence in Research
The President's Awards for Excellence in Research are annual awards to recognise staff members who have made outstanding contributions in early career research, research support, as part of a research team, and in research innovation and external collaboration.
Nominations for the 2019 President's Awards for Excellence in Research are now CLOSED. For further details, including eligibility and award guidance, please visit our 'How to Nominate' page.
The President's Award for Outstanding Research Team
- The Award for Outstanding Research Team celebrates the achievements of research teams at Imperial, recognising outstanding research that delivers impact, a team's international standing and their beneficial contribution to Imperial. Multidisciplinary teams are particularly encouraged to be considered for an award. Eligible teams are those of at least five ICL staff, led by an academic at lecturer grade or above.
- This award category offers a maximum of five awards, including up to two Medals for Outstanding Research Team.
The President's Award for Outstanding Early Career Researcher
- The Award for Outstanding Early Career Researcher aims to celebrate the academic excellence and development of Imperial's early stage researchers. Eligible nominees are research staff within the first 10 years (FTE) of their postdoctoral research activity (counted from viva date). Excellence could be demonstrated in the following areas:
- Academic excellence (e.g. evidence of independent research, success in grants, academic impact of research)
- Implementation of innovation approaches and good practice
- Ability to lead and influence others
- This award category offers a maximum of six awards, including up to two Medals for Outstanding Early Career Researcher.
The President's Award for Research Support Excellence
- The Award for Research Support Excellence aims to recognise the contribution of Research Support staff at Imperial, including the beneficial effects their support has given to Imperial research and the innovative approaches/good practice they bring to a project. Imperial staff on professional, operational or technical contracts are eligible to be nominated for this award. Excellence could be demonstrated in the following areas:
- Impact and/or beneficial effects of their contribution
- Maintaining the highest standards of professional conduct
- Establishing robust procedures to help ensure swift and effective support
- Innovative approaches and/or good practice
- This award category offers a maximum of six awards, including up to two Medals for Research Support Excellence. At the discretion of the selection panel, awards may be conferred between sub-categories of operational/professional vs technical staff to reflect the different nature of support.
The President's Award for Excellence in External Collaboration and Partnerships
- The Award for Excellence in External Engagement and Partnerships celebrates the achievements of academics at Imperial, recognising the development of lasting external collaborations, and the impact of their research inside and outside Imperial. All academic staff are eligible, including teams. These awards are not limited to work with research partners and may include involvement with representatives of all end user communities.
- This award category offers a maximum of five awards, including up to two Medals for External Collaboration and Partnerships.
The President's Award for Excellence in Innovation and Entrepreneurship
- The Award for Excellence in Innovation and Entrepreneurship celebrates the achievements of academics at Imperial, recognising unique activities breaking new frontiers, the effective and appropriate exploitation of research, and realised or prospective economic or social impact. Teams may be nominated for this award.
- This award category offers a maximum of five awards, including up to two Medals for Innovation and Entrepreneurship.