Professional Organisations in London
Opportunities in London
London is an international centre for the oil and gas industry with a large number of petroleum geoscientists and engineers involved in all aspects of petroleum exploration and production.
Many of the energy companies and the allied service industries maintain offices in or near London, as do a variety of professional societies and government organisations engaged in petroleum-related activities. Student membership of these societies provides access to their specialist libraries, meetings, conferences and social functions. Imperial enjoys close links with all these institutions.
Prominent among these professional bodies are the following organisations:
- Petroleum Exploration Society of Great Britain (PESGB). With several thousand individual and corporate members, the PESGB holds monthly meetings, social events and a major conference and exhibition every two years. Its functions provide ideal opportunities for "networking" - establishing contacts with fellow geoscientists and potential employers.
- Energy Institute, which runs a useful information service and holds meetings on the commercial aspects of the industry.
- Geological Society of London, which has an extensive library and comprehensive range of publications and meetings on petroleum geoscience through its Petroleum Studies Group.
- London Petrophysical Society (LPS), which holds monthly meetings that cover the latest developments in petrophysics, a closely allied discipline to petroleum geoscience.
- Natural History Museum, whose staff contribute to our teaching programme.
Within the Department of Earth Science and Engineering, we also have student chapters of the largest, global professional organisations for petroleum geoscientists, geophysicists and engineers:
- American Association of Petroleum Geologists (AAPG)
- Society of Petroleum Engineers (SPE)
- European Association of Geoscientists and Engineers (EAGE)