Tutor working with two students at a computerThe staff in your department will be able to help you with many of the queries you have about your course and other aspects of life at the College.


Each department has a different system for assigning tutors to students. You may have a personal tutor who can advise you about academic progress and offer guidance on welfare issues. You may have a separate academic tutor who you can go to for information on your subject. You may also be able to approach your Director of Undergraduate Studies (DUGS) for more support.

However your department is set up, you should make sure you know who your contact is – they will then be able to let you know where to go or who to talk to when you need help.


Within your department you will also find a wide range of administration and support staff who can help you with any questions you have. Again, every department is different, so take some time to find out who deals with things such as:

  • Timetables;
  • Exam locations;
  • Essay submission;
  • Collecting results;
  • Reading lists.

Find out more about the different departments at Imperial.