Getting Involved with the Imperial Community
Favourite thing about Imperial?
"The people! The academics are really passionate about what they do, and it's inspiring to be taught by them - especially when they talk about their own research. They also really want you to succeed, which motivates you in return. As well, the student community here is really welcoming - there are people from all walks of life." - Maria, UG student
By studying at Imperial, you automatically become part of our Imperial community – a network of students, staff, alumni and supporters who can support you and help you make the most of your time here.
There are countless opportunities to get involved in many different ways, all of which will allow you to enjoy your time at Imperial, make friends and quite often, build your knowledge and skills to help you in whatever you choose to do in the future. It is also a great way to explore London and make the most of what living in this vibrant city has to offer. So find that thing that you’ll enjoy and get involved.
Here are few ideas of inspirations:
- Join a club or society from the Imperial Union. There is something for everyone from cultural societies, careers and academic clubs, social societies like singing, dancing or theatre watching right through to more specific clubs like gaming, tea appreciation and knitting.
- Get involved in events that are hosted by the huge variety of organisations in the Imperial family. Download the Imperial App and visit the events section so you don’t miss out.
- Interested in designing, building or creating your own creations? Check out the Makerspace and Advanced Hackroom at White City – free to access as a student (although you may have to pay for some materials).
- Imperial has a huge range of top researchers, collaborations and research institutes that often have newsletters and hold free events so students can learn more and get involved. These are all listed in the directory for you to explore and choose what most interests you.
- Being in South Kensington offers you so many chances to get involved in a whole range of activities, from the annual Exhibition Road Festival to events and activities held at our neighboring museums. Sign up to the Discover South Kensington email for up to date information and deals.
- Stay in touch with the Student Union who run student events and much of the social life on campus.
- Learn a new skills by exploring Horizons courses and offerings from the Centre for Languages, Culture and Communications. Learn a new language, explore literature or phycology or take on a global challenge to name just a few.
- Hear from different alumni about what they are doing now by attending a careers panel run by The Careers Service
- Interested in embracing your entrepreneurial side? The Imperial Enterprise Lab runs workshops, events and competitions to help you learn more.
At Imperial we offer a huge range of support services. Many of our students use these services, not because something is wrong and they need help, but to make sure they don’t miss out all of the opportunities being part of Imperial has to offer. Here are a few great services our support services offer for everyone:
- Do a mindfulness session from the Chaplaincy,
- Meet a potential future employer through a careers fair from the Careers service
- Learn how to stress less during exams by attending a workshop from the Student counselling and mental health services
- Better understand people by learning about disability from the Disability Service