Imperial and the EU
We are taking a pragmatic and proactive approach to Brexit.
Imperial is a European university with global reach. The College has 4,000 students and 2,000 staff from other European countries.
In the last decade alone, Imperial has published more than 60,000 research papers with European partners. Collaborations include Europe-wide projects to tackle meningitis and HIV, efforts to remove mobile phone roaming charges within the EU, and the development of next generation electronics.
Imperial and the European Union
Since the Brexit vote, Imperial has intensified its European collaborations and engaged policymakers in Westminster and Brussels with a series of pragmatic proposals to ensure that world-class universities can thrive as Britain reworks its relationship with the EU.
- The European Research Council awarded €14 million to six Imperial researchers through the Advanced Grants programme.
- Imperial announced the next wave of grants through the European Partners Fund. The funding is awarded to academics to initiate and pursue collaborations with European colleagues.
- In 2018, Imperial launched the UK’s first ever UMI with Europe’s largest fundamental research organisation: CNRS of France.
- Imperial urged the government to introduce automatic visas for EU-funded researchers.
- The European Research Council invested more than €15 million in new grants for researchers in all four Imperial faculties.
- Imperial won a new €15 million grant from the European Commission to collaborate with the University of Cyprus to develop more efficient and resilient infrastructure.
- Imperial researchers are applying for new Horizon 2020 and other EU grants. The UK government will underwrite these projects, even if they extend beyond Brexit.
- Imperial hosted Carlos Moedas, EU Commissioner for Research, Science and Innovation, to discuss practical ways of strengthening Imperial and the UK’s European research ties.
- Imperial has provided free legal support to European staff and their families.
Imperial’s European and international student numbers remain strong and on target. We are benefiting from a global ‘flight to quality’. Our doors remain open to talented international students and we are repeating that message around the world.
News from EuropeRead more news
10 December 2019Imperial wins €8 million in ERC funding for blue skies research
11 November 2019£2.5 million EU grant to help save NHS patients fighting for life