The information about this expedition is taken from issue 122 of felix from September 1958:

In November 1957 the I.C. Exploration Board was approached, on behalf of a group of 2nd year Botanists and Zoologists, with a view to obtaining financial aid for a proposed scientific expedition to northern Norway. Official support was eventually received in the following April, fortunately much of the major organisation had been completed by this date. The original plan, to travel north to Hammerfest, had been abandoned due to prohibitive expense and a fresh objective, Osa in Hardanger, was adopted.

A multitude of cases left for Newcastle in mid-July, and the party followed on the 21st, sailing for Bergen, happy in the fulfillment of eight months optimistic speculation. The two days Journey forged, link by link, a chain of disjointed memories. The filth of the Tyne; mountains and seagulls in the sunlight; the great bridge at Haugesund; torn hands on tea-chests; a sick feeling as kilo after kilo of equipment was charged for freightage at a fabulous rate; Bergen rain; snow-capped peaks mirrored in calm water; the fjord-side road terminating in a heap of shattered rock a few metres from Osa; infinite hunger.

Osa, a small hamlet of farmsteads, lay at the head of Osafjord, henmed in by prodigious peaks. Torrential rivers raced through two valleys which ran inland from the village and our ears were never free from the thunder of cascading water. The base camp beside the smaller river was situated on the valley floor a mile above the village, in a clearing of the alder woodland. Towering to two thousand feet above were the shear rook walls, friendly in the sun but dark and forbidding in the mountain mist.

During the first night torrential rain fell and by morning, it was obvious that at least three of the tents were somewhat less than waterproof. The day was spent erecting makeshift fly-sheets, which proved to be invaluable as there were but eight rainless days in the following five weeks. The almost incessant rain of the first week indicated that good weather could not be expected and we soon became reconciled to the prospect of constantly wet boots and damp clothing. Despite the adverse conditions, scientific work went ahead with little interruption and a vast volume of data was collected. Of this, more detail will appear in the report to the Exploration Board, and there is the possibility of a paper being published.

On the third day two of the party explored the head of the valley; the greatest height reached was 3900ft where the lake feeding the river was found to be heavily ice-covered and surrounded by extensive snow fields. The northern face of Vass Fjoro, the region's highest peak, although snowcovered, appeared olimbable. However, due to the distances and climbs involved, it was evident that any scientific work at high altitudes would have to be conducted from an advance camp.