With Gift Aid, every pound you donate is worth an extra 25p to Imperial, at no extra cost to you.

Gift Aid is a government scheme that allows charities like Imperial to claim back the basic rate tax that donors have already paid on the money they donate. By claiming Gift Aid, for every pound that you donate, we receive an extra 25p from the taxman. It’s a great way to make your gift go further – and only takes a minute to set up.

The scheme only covers UK tax-payers. If you’re based outside the UK, please read our guidance on donating from overseas.

To claim Gift Aid on your donation, we need your permission

There are three ways to give us permission to claim Gift Aid on your donation:

  1. Sign the Gift Aid declaration on the donation form when you make a donation
  2. Call +44 (0)20 7594 6149 to give permission over the phone
  3. Fill in a Gift Aid declaration form and send it by post. Download the Gift Aid Form

Gift Aid also applies to donations from pensioners and higher-rate taxpayers

If you’re a pensioner and you pay tax on the income from your pension, we can still claim Gift Aid on your donation, provided that you have paid tax on income of at least the amount you want to give. The amount of tax you pay may have been reduced following the introduction of new dividend and personal savings allowances in April 2016. If you believe that you do not pay enough tax to cover the Gift Aid claimable on all your donations, please contact us to cancel your Gift Aid declaration.

Visit the HMRC website to read the rules on how much tax you need to pay to qualify for Gift Aid.

If you pay Income Tax at the higher or additional rate, we are still able to claim Gift Aid on your donation at the basic tax rate. However, if you want to receive the additional tax relief due to you, you must include all your Gift Aid donations on your Self-Assessment tax return or ask HM Revenue and Customs to adjust your tax code.

Visit the HMRC website to read more about Gift Aid arrangements for higher rate tax payers.

If your details change, please get in touch

Please contact us if you wish to change your name or home address, cancel your Gift Aid declaration or if you no longer pay enough tax to cover Gift Aid claimable on your donations.

Contact Sandra Carr on +44 (0)20 7594 6119 or email giving@imperial.ac.uk