Applying for our Doctoral programme
Applications are closed for the Doctoral programme starting in September 2019.
Applications for the 2020 Doctoral intake are expected to open in the Autumn term of 2019.
To keep up to date with news and events about the programme, including when applications open, please register for email updates.
The deadline for applying to our 2019 intake was Thursday 10 January 2019 .
You will need to apply for the MRes Business programme if you wish to study the Doctoral programme, as an MRes is undertaken in the first year. Although the formal allocation of a supervisor for the PhD will come later on in the Doctoral programme, you should demonstrate your research interests in your application and identify a member of faculty whose research interests are related to yours and discuss this in your Statement of Purpose.
For general enquiries, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org
Submit your application online
Applications are made through our online application system, which gives you the flexibility to complete your application in your own time and save your progress. The form includes questions about you and your educational history to date.
If you wish to be considered for the Doctoral programme, please follow the steps below:
- Start a new application and select ‘postgraduate taught’ from the list of three options. Do not choose postgraduate research or the short courses/visiting student option. It is classed as postgraduate taught because you are applying for a combined MRes and PhD programme.
- Now select “Postgraduate Masters/MRes intercalated” from the next drop down menu.
- Then select “Business [1+3] (MRes 1YFT)” as the programme title, and academic year 2019-20 as the year of entry.
You must only select “Business [LISS STP 1+3] (MRes 1YFT)” if you meet the residency requirements set out by the ESRC and are also planning on completing a LISS Case for Support.
- This will load the Business School application form. Now select “Business School MRes” from the application category.
As part of your application, you will be required to provide the following:
Once you have submitted your application form, you will need to upload the following supporting information to complete your application in time for the application deadline you want to be considered by.
- Contact details of two academic referees (one of which must come from your Master’s degree supervisor). It is expected that applicants who have recently started studying a Master’s degree also request an academic reference from their previous undergraduate institution
- Official transcripts showing your module titles and final grades for your Bachelor’s degree and Master’s degree. If you have not yet finished studying for your Master’s qualification you must provide official transcripts showing your grades to date
- Official GMAT or GRE test score – we will not consider any applications without the submission of a GMAT or GRE score
- An up-to-date curriculum vitae (CV)
- English language test results
It’s essential that we receive your supporting documents and reference information before midnight (UK time) of the deadline for which you are applying. Until we have received all the necessary documents, your application will not be complete and will not be processed.
Application considered by Imperial College Business School
The Doctoral Admissions Team will assess your application and you will be contacted if any additional documents are required. Complete applications will then be considered by the Academic Selection Committee. Applications submitted without a GMAT or GRE score or without references will be considered incomplete and will not be considered.
If you are shortlisted by the Academic Selection Committee, you will be invited to an interview with a panel of faculty before a final decision is made. In the case of overseas candidates, we will arrange an interview by telephone or via Skype.
You will be notified of your application result by email as soon as possible after your interview and by Thursday 28 February 2019 at the latest. Following this, you will receive official notification via the student e-service from the College Registry team. If you have been granted a place on the programme the official offer notification will let you know of any conditions that you need to complete to take up your place.
What happens if I receive an offer?
Once you have received your formal offer via e-Service, please visit our webpages for admitted students which contain useful information to help you meet your offer conditions, organise accommodation and visa applications, and prepare for joining the Imperial community.
If you have any further questions about the application process, please see our FAQs.