Is MSc Management right for me?
Our MSc Management is an intensive and demanding programme for students with an excellent undergraduate degree who wish to launch a career in management, such as consultancy and financial services. We are looking for recent graduates with excellent communication, problem solving and teamwork skills, to become part of a diverse, dynamic, high-calibre cohort. MSc Management is designed for recent graduates with no more than two years’ work experience.
Admission to MSc Management is very competitive and the selection committee will pay close attention to all aspects of your application.
The entry requirements for MSc Management are as follows:
Academic requirement – undergraduate degree at 2:1 Honours (or international equivalent)
To apply for MSc Management, you should have a First or Upper Second Class Honours degree or the international equivalent from a non-business/management degree. If your degree includes modules similar to more than one third of the MSc Management programme you would not be eligible.
MSc Management is not a highly quantitative programme and is open to graduates from all disciplines but candidates are expected to be familiar with a basic knowledge of maths before the start of the programme. Successful candidates will be provided with access to an online primer course in basic mathematics to prepare you for the programme from July onwards. Please familiarise yourself with the online primer content prior to applying so that you are clear about the topics you will be covering in the early stages of the programme.
You should use the ‘Quantitative Experience Statement’ on the application form to list the most advanced quantitative courses that you have taken in your academic career to date and to provide brief examples of the relevant topics covered by the programme.
Whilst there are no specific ‘A’ Level criteria for admission to MSc Management, you should be aware that some companies have very strict grade requirements for their graduate programmes. Therefore, we strongly recommend that when you are considering your career options, you research the entry requirements of any companies you are interested in working for.
GMAT is not required for MSc Management, but a well-balanced GMAT result with 600 or higher overall will add weight to your application. GMAT is highly recommended for candidates from less quantitative degree backgrounds.
Career planning questions
MSc Management is designed for recent graduates with no more than two years’ work experience.
You should demonstrate well researched career goals and a clear understanding of the business sector and the skills that employers are looking for, such as teamwork, problem-solving, leadership and communication, through your answers to the Career Planning Questions in the application form.
Career planning questions
In the career planning questions you will need to show you have thought about the type of employer you want to work for immediately after graduating and have researched your target organisation(s) and role. You will also need to answer the following questions to demonstrate awareness of what is required and the steps you will take to prepare for your chosen career.
- How will your chosen programme help you reach your career goal?
- Do you see any barriers that you may need to overcome to reach this goal (personally, professionally, or academically)?
- What gaps in your skillset will you need to develop to prepare for this career?
Internships and work experience
Prospective students are strongly recommended to undertake relevant internships and work placements and list them in the ‘Industrial/Professional Experience’ section of the application form and your CV, as this will add weight to your application. MSc Management is designed for recent graduates with no more than two years’ work experience.
English language requirement
All programmes at Imperial College Business School are linguistically demanding, and therefore strong English language skills are critical to academic success on your MSc and in your future career. The English language entry requirements listed here are the minimum scores needed for admission, successful students typically demonstrate higher levels of achievement.
Candidates who are required to take an English test to meet the language requirement are strongly encouraged to take this before applying and supply their scores as part of the online application. A strong result in an approved English language test will add weight to your application.
A full list of acceptable English language qualifications and our required scores can be found on our detailed English language requirement page.
The most common ways that applicants meet the requirements are:
- IELTS (academic): A minimum score of 7.0 with minimum scores of 6.5 in all elements. The IELTS indicator test will be accepted for admissions to the 2021/22 academic year.
- TOEFL iBT: A minimum score of 100 overall with minimum scores of 22 in all elements. The ETS at Home test will be accepted for admission to the 2021/22 academic year.
- Duolingo English Test: 125 Overall with no less than 115 in any band score.
- Degree studied in and awarded by an English-speaking country AND English language assessed to be proficient via Kira Talent video interview.
- IELTS, TOEFL and Duolingo scores are only valid if they are less than two years old on the programme start date.
- TOEFL: You must meet the entry requirement in one test from your scaled scores (‘My Best Scores’ reported by TOEFL will not be considered). For more information regarding TOEFL please visit the ETS website. Please note if you would like ETS to send your TOEFL scores directly to the College, our TOEFL Institution Code is 0891.
- The College defines English-speaking countries as: Australia, Canada, Guyana, Ireland, New Zealand, South Africa, United Kingdom, United States of America and West Indies. Holders of degrees from any other countries would not be considered for an interview.