Is Summer School right for me?
Summer School courses are open to current undergraduates and postgraduates as well as individuals who may have already graduated but have less than five years of work experience.
Undergraduate academic achievement
To qualify, you must currently be studying towards a degree or have been awarded a degree. We would expect all applicants to be tracking towards or have achieved an Upper Second Class Honours degree (or the international equivalent) but in some instances, it is possible to accept slightly lower grades, depending on the strength of the application as a whole.
Please note that current Imperial College MSc and PhD students are unable to apply for the Summer School.
Course specific requirements
Business Analytics – Applicants for this programme will be expected to have some prior exposure or previous learning in calculus, linear algebra, and probability.
Machine Learning & Applied Statistics – for this course we require evidence of A-level mathematics (grade A or above) or equivalent. It is desirable (but not a formal requirement) that students have some basic programming skills. Students should have successfully completed at least one year of undergraduate studies in a quantitative subject such as Mathematics, Statistics, Computing, Physics, or Engineering.
English language requirements
If you are a non-native English speaker but are currently studying for (or have completed) a first degree taught in English within the following countries then you meet the English requirement automatically:
- New Zealand
- South Africa
- United Kingdom
- United States of America
- West Indies
This applies only to degrees that are awarded by a university in the relevant country.
If you have taken university courses taught in English (excluding English Language courses), you may meet our English proficiency requirements without the need to submit a test certificate.
You will need to provide evidence with your application of the university courses taught in English you have studied – this evidence can be included on your transcript or by submitting a letter with your application from your university
If you have any questions regarding this, please email the Summer School team and we will be happy to advise.
Non-native English speakers who have not completed, or are not currently studying for, a university degree taught in English are required to pass an English language test.
Some of the tests and required grades are outlined in the list below. If you have a qualification which is not listed here, please let us know.
Please note, IELTS, TOEFL and Duolingo scores are only valid if they are less than two years old at the programme start date.
- GCSE, IGCSE and GCE ‘O’ Level: Grade B in English Language
- For Cambridge C1 Advanced Certificate in English (CAE) tests taken before January 2015: Grade C
- For Cambridge C1 Advanced Certificate in English (CAE) tests taken from January 2015: 176 overall (minimum 169 in all elements)
- For Cambridge Certificate of Proficiency in English (CPE) tests taken before January 2015: Any pass grade with a pass in each element OR Level C1 certificate
- For Cambridge Certificate of Proficiency in English (CPE) tests taken from January 2015: Any pass grade with a pass in each element
- IELTS (Academic): A minimum overall score of 6.5 with 6 in reading, writing, listening and speaking.
- TOEFL iBT: A minimum overall score of 92 with 20 in each element. You must meet the entry requirement in one test from your scaled scores (‘My Best Scores’ reported by TOEFL will not be considered). For more information regarding TOEFL please visit the ETS website. Please note if you would like ETS to send your TOEFL scores directly to the College, our TOEFL Institution Code is 0891.
- Duolingo English Test: 115 Overall with no less than 105 in any band score.
- International Baccalaureate (IB): please refer to the Standard requirement of the College’s English Language Requirements webpage
- European Baccalaureate English as a First Language: Grade 6
- European Baccalaureate English as a Second Language: Grade 7
- International Option of the French Baccalaureat (OIB) English: Grade 12 in English in the final examinations
- Malaysian Certificate of Education (Sijil Pelajaran Malaysia): Grade A in English Language
- Singapore Integrated Programme Cambridge A Levels (SIPCAL): Grade C in the General Paper
- CET-4 (China): a minimum score of 550
- CET-6 (China): a minimum score of 520
Students from outside the UK may require a visa to join the Summer School. Further information is available in our FAQs.